Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Sunday, November 06, 2005

What Jesus means to me

I see altruism. It seems as if many of you ladies on these blogs are putting higher value on other people more than yourself. That your only purpose of existence is to serve others. I believe that the bible promotes the individual, the family and the comunity. All three components are necessary for yourself and your family to stay healthy and joyful. Most of you are young and when relationships are new it is easier to admonish your husbands. The hormones are kicking up and love making and the babies. When you are in your 40s the novelty wears off you are in another phase of your life. Another thing I notice is that no one seems to focusing on the relationship with Jesus. I would like to know what it is about him that moves you and why He moves you. See God has to be much bigger and greater that the role playing of men and women that seems to be preoccuping most of you ladies on these blogs. I only mean this respectfully. By the way your dog is adorable. I love dogs myself.

Thank you,

Georgia

---------------------------------------------------

Georgia,

Thank you for your thoughts. I can assure you that I have certainly not reached the place where I am always thinking of others above myself! Just ask my husband! I want to learn how to be less selfish. Not because I believe myself to be less important than others, but because Jesus' example to us is one of love and service.

Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. Matt. 20:28

I want to get to the place where my focus is Christ- and others-centered. This will not mean that I neglect my own health and sanity! I know myself well enough to understand that there are certain things I need, including a bit of time for myself, to stay healthy and refreshed. This may be harder to achieve when the children start coming and life gets even more hectic. But I will certainly try! I won't have much to give others if I am completely worn down.

I do not always focus on my relationship with Jesus like I should. Many times, my mind is too tied up with temporal things; things that don't really matter. But, despite it all, He is always there for me. He is my Saviour. He has saved me from the imprisonment of my sins and has given me a reason to live. Because of this, I want to live in a way that will please Him. Many of the topics I discuss on this blog stem directly from my journey toward greater understanding of God and how I can best serve Him.

I am just not one of those people who have many moving, emotional experiences in my spiritual walk to share about. My walk with Christ is quiet. Sometimes life is difficult, and I feel spiritually dry. But it is during these times that I have been taught simply to trust that God is still there, and is still at work. He is teaching me and molding me, little by little, step by step.

I have been a Christian a long time. Almost 20 years! There is not that spark of newness. Sometimes, I look at fresh, new Christians, and envy their excitement. I used to feel that there was something wrong with my Christianity if I wasn't always like that! But God has shown me that I am not here to impress people with my spiritual exhilaration. I am here to be His child, know Him, and serve where He will have me serve. I don't need the fervor and the fire. Neither does He. Furthermore, I am just not naturally the type of person who is fervant and firey! I am a little bit quiet, but loyal. I can offer my Saviour what I have to give: my faithfulness. I can do so, because I know that He is worthy of it as are no one else and nothing else on Earth.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
You are meek, you are wise in Him, You are Kind, You are Honest, you are informitive, You are uplifting, You are His.
You are Erin.
and I like you just the way you are. :o)

Fevor and fire can be deciving.

Emotions are fleeting, often WRONG or misleading... and ever changing.

Loyalty is precious in His sight!

I think You have aquiered a true mature Love.

Love in Christ,
Jaime C.

8:12 AM, November 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home