Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Truth about Your Taxes

My work includes keeping up with the latest news on tax legislation. Sounds boring, right? Well, yeah. But at the same time, it's very enlightening. I wish all Americans would pay attention to this subject, because it affects us all immensely!

Did you know...

The current Federal Tax code is 60,000 pages long? It is so confusing, that accountants and lawyers don't even agree on its interpretation. Considering that we, as citizens, will be held legally liable if we "misunderstand" these tax laws, this behemoth code seems a bit unreasonable.

The Federal Tax system is one of the most powerful methods the government employs for social engineering. Special interest groups lobby for tax breaks, and politicians play along, doling out these "favors" to whomever they believe will benefit them the most politically. The code is like a big lump of playdough, that thousands of lobbyists and politicians are constantly trying to manipulate. How do you think it got to be 60,000 pages long?

Our government considers us criminals if we don't pay them on time, but our national debt, under their watchful care, is now up over 8 trillion dollars. That's about $27,000 per citizen.

Of course, we all know that the government considers our money to be THEIRS. But we forget that it isn't. This is OUR money. We, the people, should remind these politicians that we elect them run an efficient government, not to use all of our money for pet projects whilst sinking us as a country further and further into debt.

George Bush will most likely be focusing on tax reform during the upcoming year. Get informed about this issue, because it concerns thousands of your dollars every year. We have every right to demand more accountibility from the government in this area! In fact, as good stewards of our money, we have the RESPONSIBILITY to do so.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately Erin,
I feel rather discuraged to do a thing about or goverment. Except pray.
I got involved in the Terri Shivo case,
Sent money to her Parents, Contacted my Congressman, passed out flyers, on and on and on...It was really a tragidy.
I know God is in Control. It's getting uglier and uglier out there.
Yeah, We voted for Bush,
But, Now we are niether Conservitive nor Democrat.
We are disgusted. That's for sure.
We kinna stand alone now.
and we threw out the Tv after the big Tusinami Hit.
Tierd of Media,
Tierd of comercials that are obscine.
Tierd of movies, sludge, God's name being taken in Vain, Lies....ect.
I don't really know what my politial identity could possibly be.
I don't want to be affilated to any group because it has serious drawbacks, that affect my cretibility as a Christian..
::::fallsover:::

8:12 AM, November 03, 2005  
Blogger Carrie said...

This was really interesting and enlightening! Thanks for posting it. Our whole tax system is such a mess and so frustrating! I hope Pres. Bush will make some steps toward tax reform. The national debt also boggles my mind--over 8 trillion??? Who can even fathom that much money?! How can we be one of the most powerful nations on earth if we owe that kind of money? It's just crazy.

8:57 PM, November 03, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

Jaime, your comments give me an idea for a post to do at some point. Political identity for Christians. Politics are not an easy thing to deal with, that's for sure! I don't think that I have all the answers, but it would be nice to get some others' thoughts on this.

9:06 PM, November 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the need to be educated about tax reform, as well as all issues in our government. However, we do not need to be concerned because it is OUR money, but because it is GOD'S money that He has entrusted us with. Everything that I have is only through the goodness of God, and I can never really claim it as my own - God has only given it to me to serve my earthly purposes and to help others and His work. Which should give us even greater motivation to pay attention to what the government is insisting that we use it for! =) But even so, even if in the end I disagree with the government, I must "render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's" and continue to give God all the glory in my life!

7:58 AM, November 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home