Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Saturday, January 27, 2007

My Decorating Approach

I don't know if you could tell from all the pictures: I gravitate toward a kind of vintage/cottage/shabby chic decorating style. My colors are blue, sage green, lots of white (though there would be less if I could paint some walls:o), and a little red or pink thrown in here and there to liven things up. I have these same colors throughout the whole house, though different rooms tend to emphasize different combinations.

My home is a work in progress. I buy things as I find them, always looking out for deals at thrift shops, garage sales and discount stores. I like to look for cheap (or free!) things that can be fixed up. Thankfully, this ecclectic approach suits my style...for instance, I don't like things that are matchy-matchy. I mix white and brown furniture, and would be open to throwing some black in there as well. I'm not the type of person to ever buy a furniture "set" of anything:o)

Because I gather things for my home from all over, I coordinate it all by trying to stay within my basic color scheme and general "style". Even if something is offered to me for free, I don't take it if I won't have a practical use for it (or if it's just a decoration, don't have a good place that needs it), or if it won't "fit in" with the rest of the house. So far, I've been very blessed to find very cheap or aquire for free everything we need. I have so many stories of how each need has been filled...even down to God providing me with a free piano through unusual circumstances!

I wouldn't want to decorate my home any other way. How boring it would be to bring in a decorator and have him or her fill my home with impersonal, expensive things. I much prefer having my own story behind everything! I like how so many things in our home have meaning to us or reflect something about us. I love having a "home in progresss", because there's always new little touches to add and the enjoyment of hunting for "that perfect thing" (at a great deal, of course;o)

Thanks for letting me share some of my home! This was a lot of fun for me:o)

5 Comments:

Blogger Cherish the Home said...

Erin, your home is lovely and I love your decorating style! I'm the same way, I don't usually buy too many matching sets of things.

You've done a wonderful job, thanks so much for sharing your home with us!

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

1:28 AM, January 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your home. It's really cozy and cute. I like the Shabby Chic decorating style. Our small home is filled with hand-me-downs and yard sale finds too and I love it that way. I really like how you've re-purposed items like the dessert plates and the bed skirt. Great job!

8:12 PM, January 28, 2007  
Blogger Erin said...

Thank you, everybody!:o) I'm glad others of you share this interest! We can all get good ideas from each other.

Zan, I'd love to see your pictures! You can email me at micahanderin@sbcglobal.net

1:00 PM, January 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
I thought this was a great post and have linked you. Could you please send me your e-mail address at
kristen@shakadoo.com?

1:48 PM, January 31, 2007  
Blogger miller_schloss said...

Your home is cozy and classy without looking cluttered. I like it!

3:49 PM, February 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home