Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Friday, February 10, 2006

Dangerous Birth Control

The more I learn about chemical birth control such as The Pill, the more I wish women (and men) would be aware of and consider the many dangers involved! Unfortunately, these facts are not very well-known, even in the larger Christian community, or maybe--are they simply ignored? (I used The Pill myself up until about a year ago, not realizing how harmful it is. Though a couple people mentioned to me that it could be an abortifacient, the little bit of research I did didn't address this as a problem, or claimed it wasn't true). Even the "Christian" books about s*x I flipped through did little to nothing to discourage the use of birth control, let alone the use of The Pill. Birth control was usually addressed from a factual standpoint (i.e., "here's how this particualar form of BC is used"), with the moral and health implications "left up to each individual couple to figure out". Well...if something destroys life or is spiritually or physically unhealthy, then wouldn't that be true for everybody? Why are we, as Christians, afraid to deeply examine this issue?

Here is some Chemical Birth Control Research that women NEED to know about!

The Pill - Contraception or Abortifacient?
The Impact of the Pill on Implantation
Contraceptive Pill Side-Effects
Report: Birth Control Curbs S*x Drive
Lawsuit Grows Over Birth Control Patch

Ok...let's say that these pharmacists and researchers are full of it, and that they really haven't proven anything about the dangers. Let's be agnostic and say we don't know FOR SURE if chemical birth control produces harmful effects or side effects. Is that a chance we want to take?

Personally, chemically overriding the way God created my hormones and my body to work does not sound like a good plan. He made me this way--I'm not broken--and He knows best. Pumping unnatural artificial chemicals into my body CAN'T be great for me. And if there's any chance that it's as harmful as the above research points to...

On another related note, my husband and I are currently researching into the philosophy of birth control in general (not just chemical methods). We have a short list of books we want to purchase about this topic and would love to know: does anyone have any suggestions for excellent resources from a biblical perspective? We don't really want peoples' opinions, but biblically solid studies into the history and spiritual ramifications of the various viewpoints surrounding birth control.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cherish the Home said...

I'm just now starting to research these things for myself. I just purchased a book from Vision Forum called 'Be Fruitful and Multiply'. Crystal had also recommended this book. I won't get to read it for a few weeks because of times sake.

2:53 PM, February 10, 2006  
Blogger Carrie said...

You are so right about this--it's not addressed enough in Christian books, that's for sure. I only had one person express concerns about the Pill to me when I was going on it (and that was a friend, not a medical person.) Even asking my nurse practitioner about it didn't help, as she told me she felt completely fine ethically in telling me that it wouldn't cause an abortion. I did go off the Pill after 2.5 years, as I wasn't happy with the way it was messing up my cycles. After that, we used non-chemical methods of birth control.

I do have one book called "Birth Control for Christians" that I got actually within the past year, when I wanted to study up more on Natural Family Planning. I confess I haven't read it through, however--just skimmed it--so I can't really completely recommend it. However, I believe the author, Jenell Williams Paris, does point out the problems with chemical BC and that she highly recommends using NFP, or the fertility awareness method, as the best means of family planning. I'm sure even this book, however, would be the complete opposite of one such as "Be Fruitful and Multiply," which as I understand it, is more to do with not planning one's family. I really didn't know how many differing viewpoints there were among Christians on this issue, till the past couple of years.

Anyhow . . . all that to say that if the book I mentioned happens to be on your list, I'd be happy to send it to you. :) I'd also be interested to know what books you're wanting to read on this subject, if you don't mind sharing! Although hubby and I don't currently have a conviction against using non-chemical forms of BC, I really have a desire to learn more about the fertility awareness method, to use after I have the next baby. I like the idea of really being in tune with what's going on in my body.

4:07 PM, February 10, 2006  
Blogger Phoebe said...

I have just recently found your site and have thoroughly enjoyed the information on it. Reading this particular posting has caused me to question using the pill, of which I currently am. Several times I've had spotting and wondered if it was actually a spontaneous abortion. Having read the links you posted lets me know that my concerns were more than just a passing thought, but actually something that can genuinely happen due to birth control pills. That is quite devastating.

I am one of those people who got pregnant while taking birth control and after being told that I likely wouldn't be able to have children on my own. Furthermore giving credence to this posting.

Thank you so much for posting it. I am going to share it with all of my friends.

God Bless.

1:16 PM, September 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I may just ask because I'm curious... Isn't *all* birth control interfering with God's will? Because that's what it is, an interference that stops you from becoming with child, right?

How does the Christian faith defend birth control?

Jane

2:28 PM, October 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this article from the Journal of Medical Ethics that provides some insights into NFP
http://press.psprings.co.uk/jme/june/355_me13920.pdf

Miss Kait

10:27 AM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Michelle said...

Try looking up the term "Quiverfull" in Wikipedia. There is a full list of books that you might find helpful.

3:21 PM, February 02, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Personally, chemically overriding the way God created my hormones and my body to work does not sound like a good plan. He made me this way--I'm not broken--and He knows best. "

So people who have real medical issues that need to take hormones, aside from birth control, are broken? If they aren't, then, in using your logic, they are overriding "the way God created" them. I will never understand the backwards thinking of the Religious Right.

10:21 PM, December 05, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home