Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Grandma's too busy

I think this article shows the natural progression of women living a me-centered and career-centered lifestyle. Their children suffer...and later on their grandchildren suffer as well. What a terribly sad, sad way to live life!

When and if I have children, I want my mother to bake LOTS of cookies with them and keep her checkbook in her purse (I know she's already looking forward to those cookie-baking sessions!). Children don't need JUNK...they need love and time from the people who most care about them. Someday, I hope I'll look forward to being a cookie-baking grandma too:o)

Here's a few snippets...

"Look, I'd love to nip over and whisper secrets into 1-month-old Maggie's ears, or to dress 2-year-old Ryan in the black leather jacket I bought her recently and take her to look for late blackberries in Golden Gate Park on my bike (with its deluxe new kid seat). But I have a job. I'm a reporter, I have two books to write, a husband who wants to go to France, and I just bought an investment property in Portland, Oregon. I love my grandchildren, but being a grandmother got added to my to-do list.

The truth is, I can't be the kind of grandmother my own grandmother was -- available and self-sacrificing, always arriving in her red VW with her overnight bag to help Mom. I wasn't a stay-at-home mom, and I can't be a stay-at-home-grandma either."

"My own daughter, Morgan, told me, "I know you're busy, Mom. But I can't help wishing you could help more. I thought that was what grandmothers did."
Well, yes, it is, but now it's on our own terms."


"So listen up, Fisher-Price. For your next early-learning game the image of the grandmother should show her writing checks. We give money to the parents for rent and down payments on apartments, and we chip in on "extras" like after-school tuition, saxophones, and private schools. (Heck, I bought Ryan so much stuff Morgan said she didn't need a shower.)"

Thanks to: World Mag Blog

6 Comments:

Blogger Cherish the Home said...

*sigh*....reading that article made me sad. Sad because I know several Grandmothers who feel like this article describes. How selfish we've become.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen adult kids take advantage of their parents when it comes to this type of stuff, which I also feel is wrong. However Grandparents are sorely needed in this day and age and need to play an important role in the lives of their children and grandchildren.

I'm sick to death of women in their late 40's -70's trying to be 'cool' and 'hip'! I'm not saying you can't be attractive but you shouldn't be trying to relive your 20's!

3:27 PM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Mrs B,
Being in my twenties myself...when I see women whom I should be able to look up to and respect and admire as older and wiser trying to come back down to "my level" and act like my generation, it has the exact opposite effect as what I'm sure they are desiring! I don't think it's "cool" at all! Actually, whereas they used to make me laugh, now I just feel a slight sense of disgust and a strong sense of pity. I wonder what these women's lives must be like that they've never matured past that point.

Like you said...by all means they should try to be attractive and healthy and have a youthful spirit...but that's a lot different than remaining in a perpetual state of image-focus and self-centeredness!

I hope and pray that I will learn to die to myself a lot more than I do now as I get older:o)

4:27 PM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger Cherish the Home said...

As usual, Erin, you said what I was trying to say only BETTER! (o:

My MIL is a good example of an older woman. Although she's more career oriented than I would want to be, she is 70 and yet you'd never know it. She's attractive, wears current clothing...but not ridiculous clothing. She's interested in life and other people and that makes you forget she's 70 and yet she didn't mind the Church kids calling her 'Grandma' and her grandkids do as well.

4:51 PM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger Huskerbabe said...

What a sad world we live in. I had a grandma who taught me to bake and sew and embroider. I treasured the times I spent with her. I always wanted to be just like her.
I do get to bake with my grandson, but when you're raising them it's more like a mother/son relationship than a grandma one.

8:58 AM, February 02, 2006  
Blogger Leigh said...

I saw that article too and was so saddened by it. I think God created us to enjoy all the seasons of our life, even getting older. Some people fight it so hard and I just don't understand it. I hope one day God will bless me with many children (and a husband, of course :) and I know my mother will love to show them things and do things with them.

Take care,
Leigh

11:36 AM, February 02, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Wow...I'm sorry to depress everyone with this article!:op

Mrs. B-You always say stuff well! I love to read your comments!:o)

I love to hear about examples of godly older women and what an impact they can be on those around them. I have known a few in my life, too. I once worked a couple days a week for an elderly lady who lived in an assisted living home. She always took such care to dress nicely everyday and put on her makeup. She had visitors every single day--people whom she had ministered to or somehow impacted in her life and who cared deeply about her. She had a sense of humor and was always smiling. I think her deep relationship with God is what kept her smile shining so brightly into old age.

12:12 PM, February 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home