Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Friday, January 27, 2006

Thankful Thoughts

Learning contentment is not always a joy-trip . I can always find someone who has something I want. Sometimes, I find people who seem to have EVERYTHING I want! (What makes them so special???) Walking into a Pottery Barn or Z Gallery store is a sure way to make my "discontentment-meter" soar! I've almost completely ceased going into my favorite clothing stores. And cute babies and cute puppies can really set me off.

The only way I've found to fight discontentment is to think of and thank God for what He HAS blessed me with. I can't fight the negative without replacing it with a positive. SOMETHING'S going to live in this heart of mine, so I must make a choice. I still fail to make the right choice more often than not, but I am praying that God will help me to remember my blessings. Oh, that thankfulness could be the first thing that pops into my mind when I think of my life!

  • I am a child of God, redeemed by Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Why did God choose me? I don't know, but I'm glad He did!
  • My husband is a true gift. I have never met another person who is so gentle and tender-hearted towards me. We love being together. We can be completely honest and open. I never, ever have cause to worry about his faithfulness and devotion. He shares my faith in God, and is willing to work on areas that need worked on. We share four years of life and happy memories.
  • The house we live in is small, yes. But it is cooled and heated and has running water. It's mine and my hubby's (We don't own, but are the only residents!). We have a yard. I love my fireplace and wood floors! And actually, it's rather nice in some ways that the bathroom is so small, because it's much easier to clean (though our old apartment was small too, it's bathroom was twice as big as our current one, and I filled the counters and ledge under the mirror with so much junk that it was a major pain to clean! Now there's no mess because there's no room for a mess:o) Simplification is often a very positive thing.
  • I have the opportunity to be a homemaker and to develop my love of writing.
  • Maybe if I had more money, my imagination would be sacrificed. I am forced to find ways to bring beauty and delight out of meager resources, but that can truly be more fun than having someone else do all the imaginative work!
  • I have never gone hungry or suffered debilitating poverty. I am made one of the wealthiest people on Earth, materially, just by being born an American citizen.
  • I have good friends, though distant. I have a good family.
  • My husband and I have hopes and dreams. May we always keep them, even when life's difficulties threaten to make us cynical. Life in Christ is always a hopeful life!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cherish the Home said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:59 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Samantha said...

Erin,
I absolutely love this post! I can completely relate to this. So many times I will look at what other people have, whether it be a wonderful home, great hair, a nice new car, and I'll wish I had what they had. I have one friend who, it seems, is wearing a new beautiful outfit on everytime I see her, while I can barely afford the basics lol! No matter how much I tell myself it's wrong to think this way, I struggle with it almost daily. I love how you made a list of your blessings, that's a great way to stay thankful!

4:53 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Leigh said...

What a great post! It served to remind me to be more thankful for all I have, thanks! I really needed that, to be honest.

I also wanted to thank you for your tips about David Ramsey. I ordered his book and am hoping it will help me get my finances in order and my debt down.

Have a blessed weekend! Leigh

5:37 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Such a good post, thank you. It seems like God always provides just what we need, not before we need it. We have noticed with having a baby, that everytime we needed something, God has provided--high chair, baby gates, blankets, etc, and the Lord has stretched our income enough that we have enough money to cover daycare, since I am working while my husband is in college. We are "Dave Ramseyites"...we were given tickets to one of his seminars before we married and it has been super. We are getting there--slowly, but surely. I blogged over from Biblical Womanhood, I noticed that you have my sister's blog linked. Have a lovely weekend!

7:20 AM, January 28, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks for all the great comments! Sometimes it's nice to be reminded that I'm not the only one who struggles in this area.

Leigh-I hope you love the Ramsey book! Doing his plan is not the "funnest" thing ever, but I'm just waiting so anxiously for the joy we'll feel when we are debt free! He is very motivational and right-on in common sense advice.

Kathryn-Yay, another Ramseyite!:o) Thanks for your comments. They are a real encouragement. We are definitely still in a place right now where we are praying to God to meet our daily needs. He always does, even if our desires are sometimes denied. God bless you in your efforts to get out of debt and get your husband through college! We have done the whole marriage-and-college combination too;o)

1:30 PM, February 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home