Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Wednesday, January 18, 2006

DQ Country

"A high Determination Quotient leaves less time for ice cream but more room for success."

"Tom Clancy isn't the greatest stylist around, but like the apostle Paul he presses toward his goal, so his advice is worth remembering: 'Writing is most of all an exercise in determination.' Two craftsman-authors, Michael Crichton ('Books aren't written. They're rewritten.') and James Michener ('I'm not a very good writer, but an excellent rewriter.') also have demonstrated high DQs. One of America's top stylists, E.B. White, noted that a 'writer who waits for ideal conditions under which to work will die without putting a word to paper.'

~Marvin Olasky, World Magazine

Rest of Article Here

2 Comments:

Blogger Cilla said...

Hey Erin, my name is Priscilla, I'm Nichola Files's sister - I was reading her blog today and ended up browsing yours. I have to say, this is a great article! As a (yet unpublished) writer, I found all of those authors' insights to be quite encouraging!

8:59 AM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Hi Priscilla,
Thanks for reading!:o) I too am a "non-published" writer of sorts and was really encouraged by the article. It reminded me that writing is work we just have to DO and can't expect the insights to come floating down from the sky and land on our pages! I don't know why I keep thinking that they should, and then wonder why I never have anything to show for it;o)

It also made me feel better to know that even famous authors rewrite A LOT! I know for me, I can get discouraged if it doesn't look right when I first pen it down.

Anyway, I'm glad the article encouraged someone else too!

3:29 PM, January 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home