Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Thursday, January 26, 2006

Adjustments

Well, I've now had the blessing of being able to work at home for about a full month, minus the week we spent in Arizona. I'm still loving it! A few random impressions:

  • I sometimes feel guilty for being here, like I'm playing hooky from something! Not that I languish my days away on trifles--I'm working hard--but it doesn't "feel" like work to me because I don't hate it. Aren't I supposed to hate work? Isn't that what work is?
  • My days are not as long as I thought they would be. I still rush to get everything accomplished. Since I have made up my schedule and have attempted to stick to it, I am in constant wonderment as to where my hours go!
  • I fear that everyone I try to explain my life to must think that all I do is watch soap operas and eat potato chips all day. Actually, I NEVER watch soap operas and try to eat potato chips only in social settings. I don't know if anyone really thinks this, but I'm afraid they do. I analyze people's facial expressions as I try to explain what I'm doing with my life. From the bewildered looks I get, I wonder if some people understand that genuine work can be accomplished outside of a little 10x10 foot box. Still, I'll feel more justified in my choices if I can answer "Yes!" someday to the inquiry of "can you actually make money from that?"
  • Why is work only considered valuable if it brings money? I don't like money. I wish there was no such thing. If only I could survive without it!:op
  • I miss my puppy. I long for a little companion during the day...even one that doesn't talk.
  • I don't miss being surrounded by people all day. I like having some space. But sometimes I think it would be nice if there was still such a thing as the town well or market where women used to gather and chat about their lives as they set about their work together. Hmm...maybe the blogosphere has sort of become a "cyber town well" for me to some extent!
  • Though my days are short, my evenings seem longer. Enjoyable...yes! I love spending time with Micah! But what are we supposed to do with our evenings now that we don't have to make dinner late and try to clean the house and do all the other things that I couldn't do during the day before? We eat dinner. We walk. We read. And there's still time!
  • I don't know if I could EVER go back to the corporate/9-5 world. I believe God must have created us to want to work from home where our spirits feel content and our loved ones reside.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cherish the Home said...

Good post! I wish money wasn't necessary either! I also think it is sad that the now normal way of life of the 2 income family has made neighborhoods empty of people during the day. It would be nice to have interaction with other ladies during the day, wouldn't it?

There is a really cool article on the LAF site in their 'Reader's Favourites' section called 'I Am A Stay-at-Home Wife'.

4:46 PM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger Leigh said...

Erin,

I have to tell you what a blessing your blog has been to me. I am really enjoying your thoughts on things, and find it comforting to see someone that looks at much of life like I do.

I hope that when I marry (God willing) I will experience marriage as gracefully as you are. :) Through the bumps and the calm.

5:00 PM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Thank you, Leigh:o) I'm happy that you read!

I wouldn't want you to think that my marriage always goes perfectly and gracefully, but I guess that's what forgiveness and faith in God are for. Thank goodness we have Him in our lives!

11:01 AM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Kristen said...

Oooh, lucky DUCK! (Well, not lucky, but blessed!) You're doing what I can't wait to do...leaving the corporate workplace to be a keeper of your home!

PTL!

1:24 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Kristen, I can hardly believe it. I keep feeling jittery, like someone is going to force me to go back to my old job or something;op I hope that circumstances allow me to continue this newest venture!

I love reading your site BTW, I just haven't been good about leaving comments!

2:37 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Mrs. B - I second your recommendation of that article on LAF!

2:39 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Carrie said...

Erin, I enjoyed reading this so much--thanks for sharing! It's interesting, because this week I have heard of 2 other people (one being my sister) that are still in the workplace, but have an overwhelming desire to just be at home. I can totally understand, and am so blessed that I have had the opportunity to be first a stay-at-home-wife, and now a stay-at-home-mommy. :) I think God has definitely planted that desire in our hearts, and it is a good thing in all ways. Women should not be made to feel guilty for wanting and loving to be at home! I have not had that feeling so much since becoming a mommy, but as a SAHW, I would sometimes get the feeling that people thought I should be working outside the home. But being a good wife and keeper of the home is THE most important job, and if you can contribute to your family finances by working from home as well, that's even better! :) I am so excited for you and I hope that the other ladies I know whose desire is for home get to be there full-time soon, as well.

5:01 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Samantha said...

Erin,
Great post! I think we may be a lot alike :) I take care of my sisters 2 children full-time right now, and I love it! The oldest one just turned 5, and the youngest is 1. It's sort of funny the way people look at me when I tell them what I do everyday. Most people just can't beleive that I'm not looking for a career or going to college! One friend asked "So you just get to sit and watch television all day right?" to which I explained that with 2 young children there isn't much time for television, and I enjoy teaching and spending time with my nephews more than any televison show. Congratulations on your new vocation! It's definately a worthy one!

5:13 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Samantha-what a neat ministry to your sister's family! I was raised without a television at all, we were never bored, and my mom certainly never ran out of things to do! Thanks for your sweet comments:o)

Carrie-Yes! You are always an encouragement. One of the reasons I like to read your blog is because it really makes me look forward to the next stage, where Lord willing, I will be a SAHM too:o) But I agree with you that it's important for wives to be keepers at home even without kids if at all possible. I've had to work outside the home and I'm now working at home and I think you know which one I prefer!

1:47 PM, February 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home