Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Pride and Prejudice

As I am a dyed-in-the-wool Jane Austen fan, this post and comments at Worldmagblag.com caught my eye. It is in interesting discussion comparing the merits of the various versions of Pride and Prejudice. The latest one with Kiera Knightly should be coming out Thanksgiving weekend. I am planning to see it, although I am not sure that anything can trump the A&E version--absolutely wonderful and totally worth the five hours or more that it takes to watch it!

One interesting point that comes out in the comments of the worldmagblog post, by the way, is that many men can appreciate Jane Austen as well as women! Both my dad and my husband enjoyed (or at least didn't dislike) Sense and Sensibility, and I see they are not alone! Stories about love, life, culture and character, told with wit and humor, are not merely feminine confections: they can entertain and teach us all! :o)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

P&P is a favorite of mine too!
I rember an even older version of it, I think it was made in the 50's. That's my Favorite!
It's easier for me to understand.
Of couse you know to BEWARE of any NEW movies baised on old ones.
I was perticularly dissapointed with the new version of Little wemon with Wynoda Rider.
She played the part of Joe,
and durring the Ballroom scene,
Laurie, the neighbors son, thrust his face unto her chest near the stairs in the entryway!!!
GEEZE LUIEZE!
-Jaime C.

12:19 AM, November 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooookay,
I just watched the trailer for the new P&P movie,
Looks to be trash.
Just like The new Version of Little Wemon.
That's Utterly Dissapointing.
Yet, I am Glad to know the truth,
And not stupiedly upholding the Hollywood Depiction of the the Jezibel Prophile.
It's not suprizing,
The Passion of the Christ was Horridly Inaccuate and Missleading.
That's Hollywood.
I am Convinced that i should avoid Movies altogater.
Even the ones by Tommy Nelson for my 4yo.
I made a mistake letting her watch the Crippled Lamb and Alabasters Song.
I repent.
I want the truth and nothing but the truth so help me God.
the Bible IS good enough.
Why Change it? AT ALL.
Now my daughter is confused and it's all my fualt.
I am going to go pray then go to bed,
G'night.

-Jaime C.

4:04 AM, November 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my experience, men tend to assume (erroneously) that Jane Austen's work resembles Harlequin romances. But tf you tie a man down and make him read Pride and Prejudice or watch the movie version of Sense and Sensibility, he will usually appreciate it. I am happy to report that my father and husband have developed an appreciation for Jane, at my insistence.

10:40 AM, November 19, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

Jaime, the key to movies is using discernment. If you truly felt called to refrain from all movies, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing! But there are some good ones out there, too, if you know where to look for them.

12:52 AM, November 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home