Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Sunday, September 25, 2005

Frank thoughts

Needless to say, the hurricane has been dominating my time and thoughts for the past several days! But it is now time to focus on some other things. Life is multi-faceted.

I have many other things on my mind--things that I have been meaning to write about for some time. But I must admit that I am stuck on something: My blog does not seem quite as cohesive as many others that I read. I guess it's a picture of my real life! My life is very divided between many interests and responsibilities at the present time. Most important to me are my relationships, with God, Micah, family, friends...there is nothing else that truly matters. My vocation as wife, homemaker and Micah's helper is my most heart-felt role. As I've mentioned before, it cannot be my full-time job at this time...though I wish it was! Much of my time is currently spent helping to bring in our income. The other roles that I care about, though do not yet carry, are those of motherhood and joint-entrepreneurship (with my husband). In addition to these main roles (and aspirations to roles) I have varying interests, and other responsibilities. How does one make such a life cohesive? There is much in life that is good...but each person only has one life to live, and must make choices about what to give their minutes and hours and days to. Am I reaching for the best? What is one to do, when "the best" does not always appear possible?

Hopefully these ramblings make sense to those who might read them!:o) I hope that I am not the only one who deals with or wonders about these things.

In relation to this blog, these questions must be asked when I think about what to write here. Yes...this blog is an outlet for me. But I hope that it can also be a ministry to others. Not because anything I write here is so profound, but because perhaps my life's lessons might be an encouragement, just the way that others' different lessons and experiences are to me.

I have been thinking, though, that perhaps my blog (and my life!) should become more purposefully directed. Perhaps we are meant to have just one (or a couple) main missions in life on which we focus and pour our energy. Each person has to wrestle with the question of, WHAT is that in my life? Why did God put me here? Yes...of course...to glorify Himself. But taking into account all the different responsibilities and influences that can come to bear on a person's earthly life...how can we arrange and prioritize these things so that God is most glorified and we are most representative of Him?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

""There is much in life that is good...but each person only has one life to live, and must make choices about what to give their minutes and hours and days to. Am I reaching for the best? What is one to do, when "the best" does not always appear possible?""

I am not a christian, and yet these words spoke directly through to me....thanks heaps for your journal....I love to read it and check in every day. glad to hear you are safe after the storm. question....what is your current job? i would love to hear the story of you and Micah, and maybe see photos of you guys and your new house!

11:59 PM, September 25, 2005  
Blogger Carrie said...

First of all, I'm thankful you survived Rita with no damage to you or your home! :) I thought of you when I saw a picture in our local paper of cars stuck on a highway in The Woodlands; many had run out of gas there. I was hoping you and Micah were not among them!

As far as your blog goes, I personally really like the way you do it, and I don't think it's too disjointed or un-focused at all. However, I do understand what you mean about feeling the need to focus on just a few priorities in life, and yet having a hard time doing so when there is so much to do, and so much to think about! I am the type who has a lot of interests, and I will get hooked on one thing for a while, then either lose interest or just not have the time to focus on that particular thing . . . or something else will come along that interests me more, so I focus on that for a while. At this time of my life, I'm really working at trying to focus first and foremost on God and my family, as you said. After family, (and related to family, I should say) I hope to maintain a beautiful and peaceful home for all of us. That's one that I sometimes have a hard time getting motivated for, but it is my goal to be more homemaking-oriented. Then there are all kinds of other things that I enjoy doing, but I often start something only to never finish it. I guess I just need to be more disciplined.

Anyway . . . I guess you're not alone; that's the way life is for so many of us! But back to your blog--it definitely ministers to me, and I enjoy reading all the different topics you write about. I think you are doing a great job with it! :)

1:27 PM, September 26, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

Anonymous and Carrie...Thanks for your encouragement:o) I'm trying to make some time to think through my priorities right now, and with my husband, make some plans for our future.
Today I'm not feeling particularly well, so I'm home from work. I'm happy for the day off! I plan to do some reading, thinking and praying.
Anonymous, I'm working as a media relations assistant for an organization trying to get a bill passed. We have both a non-profit educational side and a lobbying side. The work is sometimes interesting, and I should be thankful for it. But I'm not a career-oriented person. I'm really more of a homebody, and prefer to work independently! I can't wait until I can enter the next phase of my life and work at home and raise a family:o)
I'll try to post some pictures. I'd love to do pictures more but don't have a digital camera. Hoping to get one for Christmas!

9:41 AM, September 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home