Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Thursday, September 15, 2005

Talk Radio

I'm a "veteran" talk radio listener. I've listened to various programs ever since I was fifteen or sixteen years old, and have therefore developed a strong sense about what I appreciate and dislike in this medium!

I like to listen to talk shows sometimes while I'm driving or working (cleaning, cooking, etc) by myself, because they can be extremely mentally stimulating and interesting. Notice I said "can be." There is a wide variety in the value of these shows. Some of them absolutely bore me out of my mind!

Shows which focus solely on political repartee quickly become brain-numbingly dull. There's always going to be another somebody who said or did something outrageous that we need to rag on. Recycle the stories, change the minor details. A little bit of this is OK, I suppose, for the sake of non-ignorance. We need to know who the major players are and what they stand for. But these are not things that I need to build my political and cultural beliefs around. I believe that true understanding of our country's politics and culture reaches much deeper than politicians and their "talking points." (OK, rule out Michael Savage, Bill O'Reilly, and a host of others! Sorry guys, but I just can't take the tedium! Although I will give Michael Savage that he is sometimes crudely amusing if you can get past his bombastic manner. He's a good story-teller.)

My favorite programs are those that emerge from a framework of "worldview". There is night and day difference between worldview and politics! Politics is all about "so-and-so" and positions. Worldview is about life and core values. Dennis Prager has one of my favorite programs--perhaps my very favorite. He is thoughtful. He doesn't just throw around positions, he examines positions to determine their worth. He cuts past the argument and tries to really see what worldview his callers hold. He nudges out the presuppositions that flavor the argument. He's truly brilliant.

I'd love to hear about other programs that fellow talk-radio connoisseurs recommend!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lydia H. said...

My favorites are the Bible Answer Man with Hank Hanegraaff and Parent Talk On-call with Dr. Randy Carlson. I think you would like Bible Answer Man if you enjoy worldview programs. The name is misleading. Hank addresses much more than just Bible related questions. You can learn more at www.equip.org.

Parent Talk On-call is scripturally based. Although I don't agree with his counsel all the time I think most of it is sound and right-on. He speaks to marriage and family issues with a call-in format. Hope you can use this info. I enjoy reading your blog:)

6:38 PM, September 15, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for commenting! I'm happy to meet a new reader:o)

I had forgotten about Hank Hanegraaff. Now that you mention him, I remember that I'd heard some of his shows a number of years ago. I'll have figure out what station he was on back then, and see if he's still there! I haven't heard of the other program, but it sounds interesting.

I checked out your blog and enjoyed it! I think we share some of the same interests:o)

9:50 PM, September 15, 2005  
Blogger Jes said...

I highly recommend Thom Hartmann. I agree with you on the blab of most political talk shows. They are so surface level, and they never reach into the real issues, or solving them. Thom does that. He is VERY intelligent, and when you listen to his show, you are learning, as well as shaping your views. He knows so much history it is baffling. I sit by the radio and jot notes down as I'm listening.

you can visit his website:
http://www.thomhartmann.com

He is a democrat, but he has an awesome way of being centrist and appealing to both sides. We need that bipartisanship today.

Thanks for the rice ideas! Have you ever had tofu? It's a lot like rice in the sense that it's highly adaptable and can be flavored and cooked in so many ways. It's extremely healthy too!

9:40 AM, September 16, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

Hey Jessica,
Thanks for the recommendation:o)

I've made stirfry with tofu before, but that's about it. I guess I didn't know what else to do with it. It would be great to get some different ideas for tofu as well...do you know of any sites online that have some?

6:15 PM, September 16, 2005  
Blogger Jes said...

I highly recommend the book This Can't Be Tofu by Deborah Madison...

http://www.cooking-solutions.com/Tofu%20lesson.html

http://www.quonghop.com/recipes/default.htm

Essentially tofu can be used as a meat supplement in most dishes. You just have to know the in's and out's of cooking with it.

Hope this helps. I'm going to try to do a tofu entry on my blog...I've just been really busy with Hurricane relief

Thanks!

Jes

1:09 PM, September 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listen to Laura Ingraham. I also enjoy Jay Severin, but you don't get him out there. I think he is only in Boston. Sometimes he takes over for Sean Hannity. He is a libertarian and is not a Christian. Laura Ingraham is a Roman Catholic and she is very optomistic and entertaining.
-Zan

12:49 PM, September 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home