Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Tuesday, June 27, 2006

They didn't want to know me

One further point on the topic of daycare. As a worker, I could hardly believe the number of parents who would barely greet me during drop-off or pick-up. They didn't know my name. They didn't try to find out anything about me whatsoever. And here I was, caring for their children for the majority of their waking hours! Could it be that they didn't want to know me, because that would hinder their pretending that I didn't exist as the major influence in their child's life? Was it a form of denial?

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Absolutely. I'm sure there are exceptions. There are probably a few parents out there who are truly not capable of raising their own children, and those kids would be better off in a daycare center than being abused or neglected at home. However, good parenting is the ideal, and we shouldn't prescribe a second-class solution to the majority because of the problems of a few. In most cases, the PARENTS are infinitely more qualified to raise their child, simply by virtue of being a constant and love-driven influence in that child's life!

12:01 PM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

This is so true. I've also noticed it to be the case with church nurseries. Parents drop their kids off in an already crowded room without even introducing themselves to the supervisors or checking that the environment is safe and there is enough supervision. There have been several times when my husband or I have stayed behind because we didn't think it was a safe environment to leave our children in. I've been shocked on several occasions to see how little parents seem to care.

3:01 PM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger Sharon said...

How sad. And I'm sure those parents feel so threatened by the person truly raising their children. (even though it's a preventable threat) Great post. You have a nice blog.

7:06 AM, July 03, 2006  
Blogger Kristen said...

It's a vicious cycle: the parents are likely overworked, tired when they drop the kids off and tired when they pick them up! Like you stated below, they miss the best parts of one another's days.

Anyone who seriously thinks that a daycare worker is "better equipped" to raise their child has NEVER worked in or visited one. Period. If they have, and they persist in that opinion, they're delusional.

8:03 AM, July 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home