Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Thursday, May 25, 2006

What's in a Name?

Our puppy's name has been officially changed from "Snuggles" to "Peaches". The reason being, she would rather run circles and tug on toys than cuddle up in our laps. Sure, she's still a puppy, but I can tell she'll most likely be an energetic little character, even as she gets older!

So we are naming her "Peaches" because of her little peach ears and the peach spots on her back. To all puppy lovers, let me recommend that you wait a few weeks (or at least a few days) before naming a new addition! It can prevent either confusion or a misnamed dog;o)

On the subject of naming: I've known parents who wait until a while after birth before naming their child. I know one family that waits months...and I mean eight or nine...before selecting the final name. On the other hand, many families name their child in the womb. I'm not about to make a judgement about which method is better (although eight or nine months is really pushing it a bit too far!), but I will say that it seems like children tend to grow into their names, no matter what they are. Out of all the people I've ever known, I can only remember one or two whose names didn't seem to suit them.

It's funny how names can carry an "aura", and seem to lend to the feelings or sense that we get about a person. The name parents pick for their child is really a statement about the kind of person they wish that child to become! What a responsibility!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda in Chile said...

The Day I found out that my firstborn was going to be a girl, I knew I would name her Eileen Elizabeth. It was a little big for a baby and for some ridiculous reason we started calling her Beanie. But that nickname is long gone and Eileen suits her beautifully now.
r

10:09 AM, May 25, 2006  
Blogger Samantha said...

Erin,
I love this post! It's so true that people (and animals for that matter) grow into their names. It's really strange to think about one of your close friends having a different name, it just wouldn't be the same person. A name definately creates and "aura" :)

11:51 AM, May 25, 2006  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Kathryn or one of its variations is a great name, Becky! Its not trendy or old-fashioned, just a nice elegant, feminine name with a wonderful meaning. Its a family name on my Dad's side, with many spellings and nicknames, but there is one of us in every generation.
We named our little boy John Knox. He goes by his middle name and it suits him to a tee. ;=)

7:05 PM, May 25, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Congrats on the GIRL, Becky!!! Yay...fun little girl clothes and shoes:o)

I love hearing why people choose the names they do. When I was in high school, I used to have my future babies' names all picked out, but now I'm not so sure. One of my favorite names for girls, when combined with our last name, makes the exact same name (first and last) as a movie actress I would NEVER want people to think I was trying to emulate:o(

9:56 AM, May 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home