Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Little Home Touches: Banishing Plastic!

I LOVE home decorating...doing it, talking about it, and looking at books and magazines devoted to it...so I'm always excited when I get a new idea that doesn't cost tons of money, but makes a big difference!

A couple of weeks back, Mrs. B gave me one such idea when she suggested tossing that ugly plastic dishsoap container sitting by the sink in favor of a glass oil decanter. She bought hers from Walmart and loved the new look. (Most of the nutrition sources I have been reading lately suggest that oil stays fresher in an opaque container, so I simply commandeered the clear glass oil bottle I had been using for my olive oil, and waa-laa!:o) I wish I had a digital camera so I could present the before-and-after shots! It's amazing how much classier glass (or porcelein, or almost ANYTHING other than plastic!) looks sitting on your counter.

I was so inspired, that I also used some birthday giftcards to replace the plastic soap dispenser and toothbrush holder in my bathroom with this and this, throwing in this glass jar just because I liked it:o) I rather splurged because it was my birthday, but I know for a fact that classy accessories can be had for cheaper than what I paid and look SO much nicer than plastic! I still have to get a glass jar for the face scrub that currently resides in an ugly orange plastic bottle by the bathroom sink, and a hand-soap dispenser for my kitchen.

If you want to make a small change in your home that lends beauty, no matter how humble the abode, banish plastic from your countertops! It works!:o)

5 Comments:

Blogger Mary Ann said...

I agree with you! Little things make a huge difference. Using wicker baskets instead of the plastic to organize items on my open shelves looks so much nicer and more decorative. By my kitchen sink, I keep a little green ceramic bowl for my scrubber and such. It looks really cute.

8:54 AM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Cherish the Home said...

Hi Erin, so glad you're back!

My digital camera arrived and I've posted pictures of my living room, dining room and entry and also of my dogs and cat.

12:10 PM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Rhonda in Chile said...

You know, I never think of things like that, but I agree. Mom and I now hate to drink out of anything plastic. I also love to have my iced tea in a glass pitcher.
Its the little things that make all the difference!

R

4:41 PM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Mary Ann...I love baskets on open shelves! It's on my wish-list to get some for the shelving in my bedroom!

Mrs. B...thanks:o) BTW, Everyone go check out her pictures! She has a beautiful home!

Rhonda...ooh, you reminded me to put a glass pitcher on my list too...thanks!:o) I love hearing about other people's "little things" that they do to add beauty to their homes, because I get such great ideas! It's nice to know that you don't have to be rich to have a nice home. Just patient and willing to be creative:o)

4:46 PM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Terri said...

Ooooh! Very pretty! I had started doing the same thing - I placed dry goods in glass cannisters and would like to re-do my whole pantry that way! I'm shopping yard sales because you made a good point about finding things less expensively. I firmly believe that just about anything I need or desire for my home can be found at yard sales, thrift stores or other second-hand sources! Thanks for the inspiration to continue beautifying my home!

11:14 AM, May 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home