Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Trying to Get Home

I am a FT working mom of 2 kids. I work right now because of my husband being self-employed...insurance is a HUGE necessity with 2 kids. We do not live out of our means at all. I am frugal whenever I can be. It is my complete desire to be at home with my kids during the day. I do what I can all day long to not think about not being able to be with them during the day. I see so many of mothers at home working out of there home. Every time I think I have found a job that I am able to do out side of my home is always a dead end. Do you have any suggestions? -Heather

Heather, I'm no expert on this, but I can tell you what my husband and I are doing! First, for insurance: Micah is considered a private contractor in his line of work, so for all intents and purposes he might as well be self-employed. We are responsible for providing our own insurance. We have a high-deductible policy and are establishing an HSA (Health Savings Account). I would recommend that everybody...ESPECIALLY self-employed families check into this option! In a nutshell, you must self-insure up to a point (say, $2500.00 or $5000.00, or whichever deductible you choose), but then if any major medical expenses occur beyond that, you're covered by a high-deductible policy. The premiums are a LOT lower than traditional insurance policies. (For Micah and I, our premium is only slightly above $100 per month). For your deductible, you can save up to a certain amount in your HSA tax-free (if you work for an employer that offers this option), or deduct the amount paid into the account from your taxes at the end of the year (if self-employed).

As an alternative to insurance, I know a lot of people appreciate programs like Medi-Share. I don't have any experience with it myself, but it looks to be worth checking into.

Now, for jobs that can be done at home...Micah and I are still very much in the figuring-that-out phase:o) We've tried some things that haven't worked so well, and just recently, have been succeeding with a few ideas. I wrote a post a couple months ago, sharing some work-at-home resources that I have found helpful.

I love to write, and would eventually be happy to make some money with that hobby. That's a long-term goal that hasn't happened yet:o) I think everybody's long-term goals for making money...whether with a full-time career or very part-time job, should be doing something they absolutely LOVE and are good at. Only you know what that is for you!

In the meantime, Micah and I have recently been making some money selling some products on Ebay. I wrote a few posts about our Ebay endeavors when we first started trying this, and plan to update those (hopefully soon!) with what we've learned through trial and error in the past few months. I have many ideas for my writing and other types of products we can eventually sell, and am excited to see where my husband's entrepreneurial bent (and my desire to help him) will lead us!

I LOVE to hear from other wives and mothers who are working from home, so if anyone has any tips or thoughts to share about this, please do!!! And Heather, I wish you all the best as you set out on this journey of trying to make it home. I truly believe that with a lot of prayer and creativity, it can be done! God bless you!

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Thank You! Thanks so much for your information. I am going to start right now looking into the Health Insurance sites you have me!!

I will keep you posted!!

12:42 PM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Heather, please do!:o)

4:40 PM, May 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home