Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Wednesday, May 17, 2006

This Past Week...

Well, my absence from this blog prompted a sweet blog-friend to email me, making sure I was OK:o) Yes, I'm doing fine. Busy, but fine! I didn't plan to be away so long without notice, it just sort of happened.

Anyway, this week I have three dogs under my charge:

My two sweet elderly pups, Muffin and Puffin (they came with those names!) who live with my parents. My family got them when I was ten years old...so that makes them VERY old in doggie years! The poor dears sleep a lot, but they also have bathroom issues and wear doggie-diapers at all times. They take extra-special care.

I also have my new puppy, Snuggles (or Snuggs or Snug-bug, as she's more often called), who ALSO has bathroom issues in that she is still probably only 25% house-trained. Hmm...I don't think I've yet mentioned the "Snuggles Saga" on this blog. A few days after we bought her, I took her to the vet and discovered that she had sarcoptic mange. Yes, MANGE...as in "you mangey mutt!!!" Not only is mange disgusting, but the form she had is highly contagious to humans as well as other dogs. Since this was right before my sister's wedding, and Snuggles had already had contact with just about all of our relatives including the bride and groom, we promptly and completely freaked out! I had visions of everyone standing at the front of the church covered with rashes and scratching like monkeys.

Thankfully, I am happy to report that (to my knowledge), none of our relatives suffered adverse effects as a result of their encounters with Snuggles. Micah and I are fine as well, though it's been a grueling three-week treatment period! Just try handling a brand new puppy only with latex gloves, successfully keeping her away from other dogs (when you've committed to dog-sit for your parents!) and preventing skin-to-skin contact with humans, all the while house-training her and making sure she gets the attention that new puppies need. Snuggs gets her last treatment today, and then I am going to wash all her bedding and toys, sweep and mop the floors, and pray HARD that that's the end of the mange!

Unfortunately, I know a lot more floor-mopping will be in order due to accomodating three dogs with lack of bladder control...but if I can touch my puppy without worries, I think I'll learn to deal:o)

2 Comments:

Blogger Cherish the Home said...

Oh my......no wonder you didn't have time to blog! [o:

12:11 PM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Hehe...I hear ya, Zan!:o) One of my puppy's nicknames that I forgot to mention is "Pee-Face". You can imagine that it's not always verbalized in the most sing-song tones. We are giving her the benefit of the doubt, however, that she WILL have the capacity to learn where she can and can't relieve herself!

As for the doggy diapers...my poor babies Muffin and Puffin were relatively good for most of their long lives. They're now like little old ladies that have to wear depends. You just can't hate them for it. It's pretty sad, actually. I love them and will be so upset when they're gone!

4:25 PM, May 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home