Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Friday, May 19, 2006

Not Science

For evolution to be a fact, you must have two things, minimally. First, you've got to have life coming from non-life--abiogenesis. Second, you've got to have a change in that life from simple forms to complex forms over time. You must have the kick-off, and you must have the rest of the game.

Now, here's my question: How did life come from non-life? How did the game get started by evolutionary means. Does anyone know? [...]

Then why do we call evolution a fact when evolution can't even get off the ground, based on the information we have right now. The answer you get is always the same: Because we're here. It must have happened . That's called circular reasoning, friends, based on a prior commitment to naturalism that won't be shaken by the facts.

Which proves that this is not about science, it's about philosophy.

Gregory Koukl, Evolution- Philosophy, Not Science

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your comments on evolution, because they express so eloquently what I believe too.

I recently watched a TV discussion where a certain politician was up-in-arms that Creationism was being taught as fact in some Christian schools. He then spoke as if evolution were fact and not just a theory.

I was amused by a biology teacher sister in Christ who said that (and I hope I remember the figures correctly) that people often cite that humans have about 97% of DNA common with chimpanzees as proof of an ape evolution link. However, as she pointed out we have a 90% DNA in common with slugs!

I too had 'discussion' on Happy Feminist's' blog about belief in God. I think that unless truth is revealed by God through His Spirit (i.e. wisdom through the Spirit as shown by Paul in 1 Corinthians) then it is hard for a person to understand and to get past their own 'thought-out' philosophised beliefs. I just pray for all those who have such an intellectualized view of Creation may just catch a glimpse of the wonder of God.

4:47 PM, May 19, 2006  
Blogger Cherish the Home said...

I hope you two ladies keep commenting on blogs like HF's because you're both so intelligent and communicate well!

Erin, I just saw your sweet comment on my post with the 6 questions....thanks for your sweet words and I'm so glad to know that even if you don't comment that you do read my blog! (o:

5:02 PM, May 22, 2006  
Blogger Lydia H. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:44 AM, May 23, 2006  
Blogger Lydia H. said...

Thanks for sharing this quotation that portrays what macroevolution truly is: a belief based on faith.
I'm in good company. :)

11:47 AM, May 23, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Mrs. Blythe, good thoughts! Sometimes we can be so busy trying to "intellectualize" everything that common sense truth gets lost. For instance, I can't imagine looking at the wonder of creation and simply assuming that all of this came from nothing, unless I had a prior commitment to reject the idea of God. Common sense would seem to suggest that it was designed.

Thanks, Mrs. B:o) I truly do LOVE reading your blog!

Hi, Lydia!

10:05 AM, May 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home