Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Thursday, February 16, 2006

What does "meme" mean?

Or does it stand for something? I guess I'm showing my "blog naivete" here. But I saw this on Crystal's Blog and thought it would be fun:o)

What were you doing 10 years ago? Hmm. I was sharing a room with both my sisters for the last year (After that, we moved and I had my own room). I was in an intensive high school English/Literature/History class for homeschoolers, cementing my love and interest in those subjects. I was also a member of the largest homeschool students' choir in Houston. We had concerts all over the city and state. It was fun, but we had absolutely DREADFUL costumes!:op I was just starting to recover from a few years' of VERY bad fashion choices (Let's just say, I was where the bad stereotypes of the way homeschoolers dress came from:op My hair was too long, and I had bangs. You just can't do that with my hair, and if you had my hair, you would know why! And I had some outfits that I bought in the middle-aged women's section at the stores. Don't ask...I have no idea what I was thinking!)

What were you doing 1 year ago? I was right in the middle of my second year of marriage. Micah and I were going through rather difficult times, actually...not with our marriage, but with life! It's not that interesting though, and I won't go into it here:op

Five snacks you enjoy:
Oooh...can I have more than five? OK, I will.
1. Homemade popcorn
2. Fresh veggies with a good dip
3. Hot Spinach Artichoke dip with tortilla chips or crackers
4. Trail mix (The good kind. I'm particular about my trail mix)
5. Fruit: grapes, apples, oranges, strawberries...really, almost any type that's in season and ripened to perfection:o)
6. Cheese. I LOVE cheese and probably eat far too much of it.
7. Hot tea with milk or a sweetened decaf coffee drink

Five songs you know all the words to:
1. Most of the Christmas carols
2. Most of the patriotic American songs and hymns.
3. Maybe 1% of the other hymns in any traditional hymnal (?) I'm familiar with the classics, but I never actually worked at memorizing many of them.
4. Many of the worship choruses prevalent in American Bible churches
5. All the songs on Norah Jones' first album

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire:
Micah and I have discussed this before in detail, and we have our plan honed to perfection for that day when, inevitably, we will be millionaires:o) There are actually six steps to our plan.
1. Pay off every penny of my debt and never, ever, get into debt again!
2. Buy a house for cash
3. Set aside some for start-up business capital
4. Strategically give some away, after deciding where and how we can do the most good.
5. Set aside maybe $10,000 for some fun: Trip to Europe, new furniture and electronic goodies, an updated wardrobe, etc!
6. Put all the rest in Savings and mutual funds.

Five bad habits:
1. Staying up too late which results in sleeping in too late.
2. Not allowing enough time to get places on time
3. Getting nervous when I have to get up in front of people
4. Resorting to TV watching when I'm really tired at night (I want to cut back to watching almost NO TV!)
5. Procrastinating

Five things you enjoy doing:
1. Spending time with my husband.
2. Reading
3. Writing
4. Playing the piano
5. Being domestic-y

Five things you would never wear again:
1. Bad colors (for me!): Gold; some shades of tan, brown, yellow and green.
2. Bangs!
3. Hair longer than my shoulder bones
4. Just about any type of jumper
5. Yellow gold jewelry (I always wear silver/white gold/platinum!)

Five favorite toys:
1. My computer!
2. My scanner/printer/copier--it does a lot of fun things for me:o)
3. My piano (is that a toy?)
4. My "household toys"...Kitchen Aid mixer, salad spinner, dishwasher, etc.
5. My favorite toy that I need to use more: my sewing machine
6. My favorite toy that I don't have yet: a laptop!

7 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I too have been wondering what "meme" means--but I figured I was the only one in the blogging world who didn't know, so hesitated to ask!! If you find out, let me know! :) Samara tagged me to do this one a while back; I'll try to get around to it soon.

2:32 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Cherish the Home said...

I would like to know what 'meme' means as well.

3:54 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Cherish the Home said...

Ok, I looked it up and I'm still confused! But maybe ya'll are smarter than I am so here's the link.

http://weblogs.about.com/cs/blogsglossary/g/memes.htm

3:56 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Mrs. B- great sleuth work!:o)

Here's what her link says:

Definition: In the world of blogs and bloggers, a meme is an idea, question, statement or project that is posted in one blog and answered to in many other blogs. Memes are used to propagate ideas in the blogosphere. Some blogs or web sites post memes on a daily, weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis.

I guess that's why people "tag" others...to have them answer the questions, whatever, on their own individual blogs. But I'm still wondering where such a word comes from! I wonder what the origination is!

4:05 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Cherish the Home said...

Miriem Webster on-line said this about meme:

Pronunciation: 'mEm
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of mimeme, from mim- (as in mimesis) + -eme
: an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture

I still don't get it though...it seems like what people are calling 'meme's' are really just surveys or questionaires.

5:02 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

It seems like "meme" in the blogger sense is a modified usage...kind of a catch-all word for stuff that gets passed around from blog to blog. I guess people use it because it sounds more "sophisticated" than saying "survey" or "questionaire". (And maybe, also, the people who started using the term have a sick desire to make other people like ourselves feel stupid and unenlightened!;o)

5:56 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Cherish the Home said...

"(And maybe, also, the people who started using the term have a sick desire to make other people like ourselves feel stupid and unenlightened!;o)"

This made me laugh out loud!!!

I guess that would describe me pretty well....'unsophisticated' and 'unenlightend'! (o; How funny!!!!

6:44 PM, February 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home