Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Dinner for my Sweetie

I'm making a "surprise" dinner for my husband tonight. (Well, sort of. Because of our current one-car situation, I had to let him in on the fact that I am in fact making him a secret dinner, so that I could finangle the car keys this morning for a short trip to the grocery store before he left for work. Frankly, ladies, there is just no good "fake reason" to mysteriously go out alone in the early hours, so I had to be honest. But he wasn't allowed to come, so he doesn't know WHAT I'm making him. Aren't I sneaky?;o)

Anyway, I can tell you guys! I'm making filet mignon, baked brie with crackers (one of his favorite things ever!), salad, rolls (I'm actually not attempting to make these from scratch this time, but Sister Schubert's rolls are almost better than homemade anyway!) and chocolate sheet cake topped with Blue Bell vanilla ice cream and strawberry slices. (You northerners don't know what you're missing out on with Blue Bell...it's hands-down THE BEST ice cream:o).

The baked brie isn't exactly cheap to make (hence we save it for special occaisions) but it's very easy and SO delicious! Here's our favorite way to make it:
  • Buy a wheel of plain brie, unwrap, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  • Spread apricot spreadable fruit on top and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
  • Wrap puff pastry around the brie, pinching the edges together on the bottom side of the brie wheel. I coat the outside with egg white to make it brown nicely. If you have little miniature cookie cutters, you can make designs (hearts, etc) out of excess pastry dough to decorate the top.
  • Cook at 350* for about 10 minutes
  • Serve with crackers

Well, I have a lot to do before Micah gets home so I better get going! I know he's going to be shocked...just shocked, I tell you...when he sees his "secret" dinner;o) (hehe!)

Happy Valentines, everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cherish the Home said...

**Sigh** I sure do miss Blue Bell ice cream!! Although I haven't lived there for several years I was raised in Texas and have told my husband MANY times about the deliciousness of Blue Bell ice cream.

Hope your dinner turns out wonderful!

2:13 PM, February 14, 2006  
Blogger bookwormaddict said...

Hey Erin,
My name is Heather and I recently found your blog! I like it! I hope your Valentine's Day dinner went wonderfully. I love the pictures of your home. It looks so cozy and comfy. :)
I also, want to expres my sorrow at the passing of your dog. What an adorable dog!!
I hope that you're having a nice evening!

8:23 PM, February 14, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Hi Heather! Thanks so much for introducing yourself, and for your sweet comments:o)

4:06 PM, February 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home