Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Thursday, August 04, 2005

Favorite Girlhood Books

Recently, I was remembering the books I used to read and love as a young girl. I read a lot on my own, but we also read plenty as a family. On rainy days--it was kind of a tradition--we (my mom and sisters and I) would curl up with blankets and pillows on the couch, and my mom would read to us for hours. (Now, on rainy days I always think of that and feel like I should be allowed to take the day off and just read! I guess I got kind of spoiled:o)

I've always been kind of a bookworm...but even my less-inclined-to-read sister liked our reading times. (BTW, my mom had some great ideas about keeping us interested--or at least quiet and still--during reading. She let us draw pictures while she read, and suggested that we draw the people and scenes in the book. When little hands can stay busy it helps with the fidgeting!) Since then, the sisters and I have had a few passionate "discussions" about who will be allowed to keep each of our shared-favorite books to read to our own kids some day!

Here were a few of my best-loved books--most read multiple times; many admittedly girly:
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder Series
  • All-of-A-Kind Family Series
  • Grandma's Attic Series
  • Elsie Dinsmore Series
  • The Chronicles of Narnia
  • The Box-Car Children

I also remember loving a story-book called "The Princess and the Goblins," And a "Pilgrim's Progress" book adapted for children. There were many others. I loved stories about people who immigrated to America during the Irish Potato famine for some reason. We also read A LOT of biographies, and American history books.

Did anyone else read these? (I'm sure just about everybody must have read Laura Ingalls Wilder, and most children raised in Christian families probably become introduced to the Chronicles of Narnia!) I hope they're all still around in stores, because I will have to buy the ones I don't win through my ongoing negotiations with my sisters;o)

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mmmmmm! Yummy books! My sister and I were first class bookworms and we had books all over the house that we would read a thousand times. Yes, the Wilder books, we had one Elsie book that we read constantly, and I loved the Boxcar children. Pilgrims Progress and the chronicles of Narnia were definitly on the list too. I also liked the old Nancy Drew books, Hardy boys and Bobsie Twins. There were sooooo many others, maybe I should put a list of my favorites on my blog!

6:49 AM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger Carrie said...

Thanks for sharing your childhood favorites! Great topic. My sister and I were also bookworms . . . your family sounds much like ours! My mom would also read to us for hours, and those are some of my most treasured memories. She also read aloud to us in the car, so we went through a lot of books that way! (I'm continuing that tradition with my hubby and son!)

Anyway, I had read all the ones on your list except Elsie Dinsmore, and I think I only read a few of the Boxcar Children. The Little House books remain a huge favorite and I can't wait to read them to my son when he is a bit older! Some of my other childhood favorites (then and even now!) are these:
*Anne of Green Gables series and just about anything by LMM
*Betsy-Tacy series
*Nancy Drew (esp. the older ones)
*Trixie Belden books
*Happy Hollisters books
*American Girl books
*Penny Parrish series and others by Janet Lambert (these were from my mom's girlhood, but fortunately are being republished now!)
*Beany Malone series (also from my mom's generation)

I'm sure there are tons of others that I'm not remembering right now. I just love to read! :)

P.S. Thanks for letting me link to your blog! :)

11:33 AM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

You ladies have reminded me of other books I used to read and love...Bobsie Twins, Happy Hollisters, American Girls...Good memories!

Carrie, I have always wished I could read in the car! Unfortunately, it makes me car-sick:op

11:17 PM, August 06, 2005  
Blogger Samara said...

These are all great- I liked the Betsy-Tacy books, the Narnias, the Little House ones, Anne of Green Gables and all of the Oz books. There was also one about a doll called "Hitty: her First Hundred Years" that I really liked.

7:49 PM, August 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Hitty and I've never met anyone else who has read it! The Princess and the Goblin is by George MacDonald and has a wonderful sequal entitled The Princess and Curdy - both of which are beautiful and well worth the read.

8:57 PM, October 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home