Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Favorite French Bread

I have been wanting to post this recipe for some time. It always turns out wonderfully! Enjoy it hot out of the oven with your favorite soup or pasta dish.

3 c. whole wheat flour
2 T. dry yeast
2 c. comfortably hot water (120-130*)
2 T. oil
1 T. honey
2 t. salt
2-3 c. unbleached white flour
2 T. yellow cornmeal
1 egg white
1 T. water
Sesame seeds

Mix whole wheat flour and dry yeast in mixer bowl. Turn off mixer. Add hot water, oil, honey and salt. Mix 1 min. Quickly add white flour, 1 cup at a time, until mixture cleans the sides of the bowl and forms a ball. Knead 3-4 min.

Lightly oil hands. Divide dough into two equal portions. Roll each into a 12x15" rectangle. Beginning at the long side, roll up tightly, pinching edges to seal. Taper ends.

Place each loaf with the seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet which has been sprinkled with cornmeal. French bread pans may also be used. Beat egg white and water with a fork until foamy. Brush tops and sides of loaves with egg-water mixture. Diagonally slash loaf tops every 2 1/2 in", 1/4" deep. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Let rise until double. Bake in a preheated oven at 375* for 25-30 min or until deep golden brown. Yield: 2 large loaves

For an extra special treat, try serving the bread with Dipping Oil:

1/2 t. each: oregano, basil, rosemary, salt (kosher if you have it), pepper
Dash of red pepper flakes
1 t. dried minced garlic
1/2 c. - 2/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
Sprig of fresh rosemary

Mix together and enjoy!! Serve with a big loaf of French or Italian Bread for dipping.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Mmmm, this bread sounds yummy! I usually make bread in the bread machine, but it is fun to do it "by hand" sometimes, too . . . do you use a large mixer (like a Kitchen Aid) w/dough hook to make the dough? I love, love, love my Kitchen Aid!! :)

LOL, I'm seeing more that we have in common in your recent posts--I've always divided up the seasons/months the same way you do; just makes more sense to me. I also love fall and fall scents! I will have to look for a pumpkin spice candle; that sounds so yummy smelling! I love Yankee scents, too. Last year I got a candle at Walmart (not Yankee, but still really nice) that had 3 "flavors" for fall--I think they were something like Pumpkin Pie, Apple Crisp, and Pecan Pie, layered one on top of the other. So for a while you got to smell the first, then once it burned down enough, the second, etc. All 3 of them smelled soooo good!! Here in NH it is starting to feel "fallish" already--yay! Now, if only fall colors and weather would last through the end of November . . . :)

Have a happy day! I'm glad my comments have been encouraging--I just really enjoy reading your blog! :)

11:20 AM, August 31, 2005  
Blogger Carrie said...

Just had to add a PS--I made this today and it turned out great! I loved how nice the dough was to work with. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

9:42 PM, August 31, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this recipe--I'll have to try it!

11:43 AM, September 01, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

Hannah, thanks for visiting my blog:o) Now that Carrie has so graciously been the guiney pig for the accuracy of my recipe transcription skills, I feel more comfortable encouraging you to definitely try this recipe! It's a standby at my house and we love it.
Carrie, I'm glad the worked well for you!:o) I have to tell you, I'm always nervous to post recipes, because I'm afraid that I will type in the wrong amt of something or leave something important out...Then people will try it and have it turn out terrible. To keep this from happening, I try to proof the recipe at least a couple times before I post. Anyway...all that to say...I'm glad it was a success for you!:o)

10:40 PM, September 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home