Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Tuesday, October 24, 2006

What am I?

Ok...so we bought our doggy "Peaches" last spring out of the back of a truck in the Sam's parking lot. We never thought we would've considered such a thing because you don't know what you're getting that way...but she REALLY wanted to come home with us and we couldn't resist. Besides, the couple selling the puppies seemed very friendly and we trusted them.

Until we got her home and discovered that she had mange (eew!) . And then we never received the paperwork on her that the seller had promised. (It went like this: "Are these puppies certified?" "Oh, yes! We have paperwork on all of them! They are registered full-bred Lhasa Apsos!" And then...after we'd already committed and paid... "Just write your address down here and we'll mail the paperwork..." Uh-huh.) And then when the phone number they'd given us stopped working, well...

So I guess we shouldn't be surprised that after growing up, Peaches doesn't look exactly like a full-bred Lhasa Apso. When my uncle--who has a Lhasa--recently saw pictures of her, he said "I don't know what she is, but she's not pure Lhasa!" Lhasa Apsos have long flowing "hair" that you have to cut. Peaches is about 8 months old and I've never cut her fur...it remains very short around her face and legs. The fur on her body is a bit longer, but nothing like a Lhasa. Also, Lhasas have rather stubby "snouts", unlike Peaches'.

We do think that Peaches is probably part Lhasa, because she has the characteristic coloring, the large black nose, and is close to the right size. She also has some of the personality traits of a Lhasa. Does anybody who knows about dog breeds have any suggestions as to what else she might be???


This is a full-bred Lhasa Apso:

And this is Peaches (these were taken a few months ago, so she's probably grown a bit since then. Her coat is a bit longer...probably a couple of inches on her body, but her face- and leg-fur remains almost this short. She's somewhere in the 15-20lb range.):


21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's so cute! I have no clue as to the breed mix, but whatever i is, she's beautiful!

11:34 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

Spaniel? She's very cute, though. I prefer mutts but I'm guessing you didn't pay mutt price. :(

11:58 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger wendybirde said...

I think you lucked out in a strange way honestly , because she is even more adorable than the full breed : )

1:06 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Samantha said...

I can't tell what she's mixed with, but she sure is cute!

1:24 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Heidi, thanks!:o)

Wendy...we agree in that respect! We both think she's cuter than many of the full-breeds.

However, Mrs. Happy...I'm sure the price WAS sadly a bit high for a mutt, though cheap for a Lhasa. My family donated some of the money to buy her. After we lost our last puppy, they wanted to help us get another dog, which was very nice of them:o) I don't regret Peaches, but it certainly would've been nice if the sellers hadn't been dishonest and had charged a fair price!

I just looked at some pictures of Spaniels...hmm...could be! I could see that!

Oh...another positive: I can't say that I mind not having to cut her hair!

1:33 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks Samantha! I'm so glad that you're still around!!!:o)

1:35 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Is there anybody familiar with spaniels who recognizes characteristics of that breed in Peaches? Before her, I've only had maltese...so that's the only breed I'm very familiar with.

1:40 PM, October 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about breeds, but she's 100% adorable! And lucky to have a good home. :)

1:56 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

I'm not well-versed on breeds but the AKC site looks very helpful. The Welsh Springer Spaniel was the breed I was thinking of when I mentioned Spaniel above.

2:18 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

Or maybe the Cavalier King
Charles Spaniel
.

2:28 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks for the links, Mrs. Happy! Peaches' face seems very similiar to some of the Spaniels...however she doesn't have those long ears. I saw a picture of a Tibetan spaniel that has shorter ears...but the face looks much different. Maybe Peaches is more than two different things!

3:08 PM, October 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I'm laughing here. Why? We had the same thing happen. We were told that our little Katie was a full-blooded bassett hound. She is FAR from that. HAAH!! We love her none-the-less, however. Actually, I believe we love her MORE!

His,
Mrs. U

3:58 PM, October 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she is defiately what we Aussies call a 'bitsa' :o) (bita this, bita that) I would agree with the CKC spaniel, I would sugest perhaps a terrier of some sort also, and way way way back in the family tree some labrador. But all in all she is delightful. I have heard, also, that mixed breed dogs are more loyal and freindly than full breeds... and aren't nearly so snobby. *grin*

6:30 PM, October 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, I don't know dogs, but I was going to guess maybe some kind of terrier?? There's a lot of variation in terriers to begin with, she doesn't look at all like some of them, but does sort of maybe look like others.
But do a search for "lhasa" on this page, it's interesting, some known mixed breeds: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americancaninehybridclub.htm

9:47 PM, October 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that she is precious!!! Absolutely adorable!

9:19 AM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger Leigh said...

I don't know what she is, but she is adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wanted to snuggle with her!!

:)

1:00 PM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger Cherish the Home said...

She's adorable! Maybe part Parson Russell Terrier? (Formerly known as Jack Russell Terriers). And if she was bred with another 'mutt' then she's probably a mix of many different types of dog.

Did the vet have any guesses?

5:39 PM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks for all the links, suggestions, and compliments:o) I told Peaches what you all said about her, and she seemed pretty indifferent. Oh well...at least we know she doesn't have a big ego:o)

My dad also believes that she might be part spaniel. Her face seems to have spaniel characteristics (like a VERY big mouth! You should see when she yawns!) I'll have to looks at some more pictures of terriers and see if I can recognize any similiarities there as well! I bet she IS a whole mix of things...not just two different breeds.

Mrs. B- I haven't asked my vet, though I'll have to do that next time we visit! We only recently had the question raised as to whether she was really a lhasa.

2:45 PM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

I've heard that mutts can be healthier overall than pure-breds because they have a lesser chance of having some of the major health problems associated with certain breeds (propagated through inbreeding). I hope this is true!

2:50 PM, October 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why aren't they Jack Russels any more!??? Was it politically incorrect in some way? *grin* It wouldn't surprise me. :P

7:06 PM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger Cherish the Home said...

Jenny, this link might answer your question about the name change. (o:

And Erin I agree with your dad.....she does have the 'look' of a spaniel. Maybe a Cavalier King Charles.

1:43 PM, October 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home