Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Fresh Strawberry Pie

Last weekend, Micah, my sister and I went to an orchard and picked 4 lbs of strawberries. (If I had known how good they were, I would have insisted that we pick more!) I made this pie that same afternoon, and it was FABULOUS. The quality of the strawberries is what makes this pie, so NOW is the perfect time to gather fresh, in-season strawberries and enjoy!

Fresh Strawberry Pie
(make ahead at least 3 hours)

1 ½ quarts (about 3 lbs) strawberries, hulled ( I also sliced mine)
1/2 - 1 c. sugar (1/2 c. was the perfect amount of sugar for my sweet freshly picked berries-maybe a little more would be needed for store-bought)
2 T. cornstarch
½ c. water
**Note: shake cornstarch and water together to prevent cornstarch from clumping
Red food coloring, if desired (Mine didn't need this)
1 (3oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 t. grated lemon rind
**Note: try adding 1-2 T confectioners sugar to cream cheese mixture
1 9” baked pie crust
Top with freshly whipped cream or Cool Whip & a Strawberry

Mash enough strawberries to measure 1 cup. Mix sugar and cornstarch in 2 qt. saucepan. Gradually stir in water and mashed strawberries (add 1 or 2 drops food color if deeper red color is desired). Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute; cool. Beat cream cheese, confectioners sugar and lemon zest until smooth; spread in pie crust.. Fill crust with remaining strawberries. Pour cooked & cooled strawberry mixture over top. Refrigerate about 3 hours or until set. Store covered in refrigerator.

Better Homes & Gardens Pie Crust
(as modified for Fresh Strawberry Pie)

1 ½ c. sifted all-purpose flour
½ t. salt
½ c. shortening
4-5 T cold water

Sift flour and salt together; cut in shortening with pastry blender till pieces are the size of small peas. (For extra tender pastry, cut in half the shortening till like cornmeal. Cut in remaining till like small peas.) Sprinkle 1 T. water over part of mixture. Gently toss with fork…push to side of bowl. Repeat till all is moistened. Form into a ball. Flatten on lightly floured surface by pressing with edge of hand 3 times across in both directions. Roll from center to edge till 1/8” thick.

To bake single-crust pie shells: Fit pastry into pie plate, trim ½ -1” beyond edge; fold under and flute edge by pressing dough with forefinger against wedge made of finger and thumb of other hand. Prick bottom and sides well with fork. Bake @ 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cherish the Home said...

Ooooh, I LOVE strawberry pie! I printed this out, thanks for the recipe! (o:

3:08 PM, April 04, 2006  
Blogger Kathryn said...

We had strawberry pie the other evening, too. Mine is very similar except I don't use cream cheese, since Shawn has an aversion to soft white dairy products. ;-) I also use the BH&G recipe--such a great, easy basic cookbook.
It was delicious and I can hardly wait until the strawberry fields open!

6:50 PM, April 04, 2006  
Blogger Mark and Erin said...

Erin, you got my mouth watering for this!!! I've been craving strawberries anyway, but now...oh boy. I think we'll have to get some when we get groceries this week, so I can make a pie!!

2:33 PM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

I hope all you ladies love it! I wish I had some more strawberries to make another one:o)

10:14 AM, April 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm....I haven't had a strawberry pie for years. We won't be seeing strawberries until June or July (I'm in northern Canada) but when they are available I'm going to be looking up this recipe!

I just wandered over here from Mrs.B's blog and have really enjoyed reading your posts :)

11:29 PM, April 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home