Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Friday, August 04, 2006

Motivation Builders

In my last post, I admitted that I sometimes have trouble motivating myself to do things, especially if I know that I won't be able to do them "perfectly". Though I wish that I could just snap myself out of that self-defeating attitude, I usually need a bit of help! What do you do, when you're feeling unmotivated, to get yourself going?

Here are some motivation builders I have had success with in the past (when I bothered to make the effort!)

~Turn on energetic music. Preferably loud, if it won't be a bother to others!

~Prepare a favorite stimulating drink to sip on while you work. If you need to sit at a computer, how about hot tea? Or a nice iced tea or lemonade if you'll be doing an active task?

~Make your work area as bright as possible. Open the blinds, or even the windows. Bright light will make you feel more awake!

~Dress for Success. I find that the sloppier my appearance, the easier it is for me to approach my day in a sloppy manner. Other homemakers have mentioned how the simple act of putting on a pretty apron before baking or cleaning is motivating. I don't even own an apron, but hearing this makes me want to buy one!:o)

~Stimulate your senses with scent. I like to burn a fresh-smelling candle in the room in which I'm working.

~Take a moment to think through your goals and set priorities. It helps me to have them written down.

~Refocus your thoughts. This is a biggie for me! So often, I want to continue to dwell on past failures, which will only cultivate a self-defeating attitude. Pray, sing, whatever it takes to refocus your thoughts on the the tasks at hand. Refuse to dwell on failure. Lord, help me with this one!

~Start where you're at! Get going!:o)

...And I'm off to do the above!

11 Comments:

Blogger Arlene said...

Oh dear! Two posts in a row about getting up and moving. I really, really need to sign out now, LOL!

7:58 PM, August 04, 2006  
Blogger Carrie said...

Hi Erin!! I'm still reading, just haven't had much commenting time lately! I enjoyed these recent posts; I have trouble getting motivated many times, as well. I like your suggestions. One of the biggest helps to me is turning on energizing music . . . and also just jumping in and starting something. That can be hard, though, when there are so many things to get done that I don't know where to start!! Another thing that helps motivate me (an idea I got from Flylady) is using a timer when I'm doing chores and trying to "beat the clock." Sometimes I am amazed at how a job I thought would take FOREVER (and therefore had put off doing!) only takes a few minutes in reality. :)

Sounds like you guys are doing well, and I'm so happy that your home business is turning out to be successful!!! Have a great weekend.:)

8:48 AM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Kathryn said...

For some reason, my main thing is getting up and showering. Seems like the longer I put off my shower, the less I get done. Great post! Thanks.

10:51 AM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Cherish the Home said...

Wow, these are some great ideas...both the post and the comments!

11:58 AM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Cherish the Home said...

I just wanted to say that I really liked this post and the one below it!

You've inspired my post for Monday! Thanks Erin. (o:

12:09 PM, August 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a great little saying for when Perfectionsim attacks:

Finished is better than Perfect!

Think about it for awhile and it starts to make sense.
I also have success with the break it down method. There may be one big job to do, but if you think about one part of it you will be proud about accomplishing, and attack that, then you can decieve yourself that you finished a task.

Keep up the good blog!

6:10 PM, August 06, 2006  
Blogger Tori Leslie said...

Wow I really needed those. How true they are, especially the getting dressed and the light thing. Thanks for a great boost!!! :0)

12:33 AM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger ashley said...

Thanks, Erin, for these great ideas! I struggle with the same thing - the super perfectionist who won't even start because the task seems daunting.

One thing that helps me is making my bed in the morning to keep me from crawling back into it. That is a huge temptation for this night owl. :-)

10:50 AM, August 10, 2006  
Blogger Beverly said...

Hello Erin,
I have been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now and have just started my own. I have been blessed by the things you write!
I would like to put a link to your blog on my own, but wanted to ask your permission first. Please let me know if this would be ok with you. I am a stay at home wife too!

7:07 PM, August 10, 2006  
Blogger Doug & Jess said...

Motivation is a hard one for me too, especially with a new baby and a 2 and 4 year old... I feel so exhausted. Lately, I've taken to praying for motivation.

I think something else that helps is setting appointments for things, for instance- I need to go to the store, and my friend needs to know where it is... she's pregnant & exhausted & I'm nursing and exhausted, but because we set an appointment, we're both going to the store together here in about an hour. (There may not be this level of accountability about getting your dishes done, but perhaps if you set small goals, like do dishes from 10-10:15, etc., it would help it seem more tackle-able!)

11:05 PM, August 11, 2006  
Blogger Christine said...

From one frustrated perfectionist to another, I love your blog! We have a lot in common. The things you mention that work best for me are a well-lit space (though dh likes things dim, so we have a little issue with that!), making lists of priorities (lists in general) and great praise music!

7:22 AM, August 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home