Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Thursday, August 03, 2006

Start where I'm at

Today: There were bills to be paid, dishes to be washed, an entire house in need of freshening, two chickens to be prepared for roasting, business research to be conducted and countless other "little tasks" that have a way of building up into what seems like a mountain. But instead of busily setting to work, I found myself in a funk. The day didn't start out on schedule, so it seemed like a lost cause. In between puttering, I allowed myself to get distracted reading (helpful, informative material, but nonetheless!). Before I knew it, it was 4pm, and I no longer had time for the chicken to finish before dinner. So the chicken is even now still in the oven, and we have just finished dining on takeout. Yes, takeout. It was one of those days! But in this case, it didn't have to be.

I've confessed before on this blog, that as a perfectionist, I often struggle with feeling unmotivated to do things that I don't think can be done "just right". If I can't do it perfectly right now, I'll put it off until I can. Unfortunately, this is not a good way to run a home! Homemaking requires flexibility, and the willingness to make the most of the time and resources I've been given.

So failures occur. Imperfections surface. That's what I get for being human;o) But what am I going to do about it? If I'm thinking wisely (and I like to hope that every once in a while, I do:o), I'm not just going to sit here beating myself up over this evidence of my immutable humanity. I'm going to start where I'm at, that's what! This very moment is all I hold in my hands. This moment is God's gift to me, to be used for His glory.

Shortly after 4pm, I walked myself to the kitchen. I turned on music (loud!) and started in on the dishes. I got the chicken into the oven. Micah and I ate our "lovely" takeout meal together. After I finish writing this post, I'm going to join my husband for our evening walk/talk, and then maybe get some more housekeeping done before it's time to think about bed. This day WON'T be a waste. Better I determine that later than never!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job! I had a day sorta like that yesterday, only I'm not running a household so only my neglected basement suffered.....still, I know what it's like! Congratulations on throwing yourself back into the swing of things. =D

4:09 AM, August 04, 2006  
Blogger Samantha said...

Boy do I know how you feel! This is why it is so difficult for me to keep a consistant schedule. I always seem to get side-tracked.

It sounds like you made a great choice today to not let it get you down. God wants you to overcome this, just remember that! In Christ,
Samantha

7:48 AM, August 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean! With a baby due in six weeks there is sooo much I want to get done but the very thought is overwhelming knowing that there just isn't time to do it all "right" (specifically, I have a couple of years worth of pictures to categorize and file, among other things. It is so easy to caught up in just looking at the pictures of your wee ones and before you know it your time is up!). You're right, better to start late than never! Thank you for the reminder!

10:36 AM, August 04, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

mmm...we won't even get into all the pictures I have to categorize and put into scrapbooks...you're not the only one, Shelby!;o)

11:59 AM, August 04, 2006  
Blogger Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I can really relate to this. Sometimes the day crashes because my toddler is having a hard time (those days I try not to be too hard on myself!) but sometimes it is just because I'm having a hard time. Today is one of those days, hence my sitting at the computer reading blog posts! ;) Thank you for the reminder to get up and get going!

12:00 PM, August 04, 2006  
Blogger Arlene said...

I've been a lurker for a while now, but I'm finally commenting, lol! I guess this post is a sign from the Lord that I need to get up and get moving now... Thanks for this post, Erin! :~)

7:57 PM, August 04, 2006  
Blogger Keziah said...

You might not think it but it was really encouraging to read this post. I suffer from perfectionism too - so if it can't be done perfectly, it might not get done at all! However, as you say, it is better to crack on with what we have and to do what we can. Something is better than nothing.

3:51 PM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger theups said...

Oh how I appreciate your words!! Describing yourself as being "in a funk" is the PERFECT way to describe some of my days. I don't know if it's just that I'm lazy, or that my heart is so focused on myself (mmmmm, I'll guess that's the correct guess in my case!!), but there are plenty of days that I find myself feeling this way. I LOVE the examples you give in "Motivation Builders" to get out of that "funk" and start blessing your family!!

Thank you for sharing your heart!

His,
Mrs. U

5:32 PM, August 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home