Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Still here!

I've been spending most of my free computer time the past couple of days working on creating / adapting forms for and compiling my Homekeeping Journal (aka Home Management Binder). I've decided that, for me, more detailed schedules and record keeping will be beneficial. I'm just the type of person who operates more efficiently within a well-detailed framework! So I'm upping the "structure factor". The only thing is, I HAVE to remember to view my to-do list as many baby steps, and not allow myself to get overwhelmed by worrying about completing the entire list. Schedules and routines and to-do lists are wonderful if they are used as tools or guides, but I only get discouraged if I view them as the be-all / end-all taskmaster of my existence:op

It's happened already a few times this week. I started worrying about all the things I felt I needed to do, and then told Micah that I was feeling overwhelmed. Wonderful husband that he is, he helped me isolate my highest priorities, and I focused on those. What relief I felt at the end of the day, when I realized that all the most important tasks had been completed in good time!

OK, so here's a question for you organized and structured types: How do you schedule your Quiet/Devotional times into the day without making it feel like just another "task" to cross off the list? I've found that if I don't "plan" for a quiet time, it rarely happens. And yet, I'm not sure how to still my mind and rest in the moment when I'm on a schedule and have many other things to "get to". I'm really wanting to find that balance between structure and efficiency, and taking moments for restful thought, prayer, enjoying life, and spontaneity. I'd love to know what has worked for some of you!

9 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

No wisdom here Erin....I have the same question! I'm very interested to see what others say :)

2:33 PM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Erin,

For me, I've found that, unless I have my quiet time with the Lord first thing in the morning, before starting in on other daily tasks, it doesn't get done. What works for my husband and me is that we wake up together (if one of us needs to get up extra early, we both get up), pray for each other, and then read one day of a one-year Bible together. Usually Tim reads the Old Testament and New Testament passages, and I read the Psalms and Proverbs passages. We often discuss what we've read, and Tim points out and explains things to me that I otherwise might have missed.

Later on in the day, I often spend some extra time reading the Bible or going through a Bible study on my own.

4:14 PM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

I agree with Melissa. Unless I get together with God first thing in the morning, it doesn't get done. I shower when I first get up(so there's enough hot water for husband!) and then have my quiet time. I still have trouble being totally consistent day after day, week after week, but I continue to work at it! It is so rewarding to take that time for Him.

6:55 PM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger Samantha said...

I also do my devotional time first thing in the morning. I usually read 2-6 chapters of the bible each morning after my prayer time. This has been wonderful for me because it begins my day off with God being the central focus.

During the rest of the day it can sometimes be difficult to stop what your doing to have prayer/devotional time, and also not to rush through it because you're thinking about your next task(this is something I struggle with). It really helps me be able to relax and focus better if I sit in my favorite comfy chair and have a cup of coffee/tea. I can't wait to read some more of the suggestions!

9:52 PM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Wow...so everybody is advocating the early morning! I really appreciate your suggestions. Micah and I have been talking about how to adjust our schedule to be earlier to bed and earlier to rise, and we really like the idea of starting the day together with a quiet time. Your thoughts are encouraging, and I'm feeling motivated to try them!

11:44 PM, July 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
This isn't really a comment about this particular blog, but about the one you wrote a while back on your bog anniversary. My husband has been trying to learn how to start up an e-business or drop shipping business. I encouraged him to ask you some of his questions there. His name is Steve though we had to leave it as "anonymous". I know you are busy, but if you could shed a little light on this subject we would be so grateful. If you like, you can e-mail him at slinscomb@sbcglobal.com Thank you!

9:47 AM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Anon, myself or my husband will try to email a little later. We're still in the learning stages ourselves, but hopefully we will be able to help!

2:54 PM, July 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your willingness to pass on a little of what you know for my husband's business. I understand you are both just starting too, and that you are very busy, so whenever you can is just fine.

Gratefully. :)

10:47 PM, July 30, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Anon- I sent your husband an email...just checking to make sure you guys got it! Oh, are you at sbcglobal.COM or sbcglobal.NET? I didn't know there was a com!

5:20 PM, August 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home