Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Monday, July 31, 2006

A Homemaker's Resume

I'll be honest. If I were going to compile my homemaking "credentials" into a resume, I wouldn't want to give someone the impression that my life's work is defined by the following:

-Excellent toilet-scrubber. Is especially accomplished in the finer points of outer-toilet detailing.

-Experienced in doggy-maintenance. Has handled upwards of 300 "doggy-breach-of-hygiene-code" critical cases.

-Almost twenty years' experience in sock-folding. For the past fifteen years, has consistently maintained a 97.5% rate of accuracy in sock-matching.

-Three years' experience in maintaining husband's distinguished tie collection
[Here's where I slyly omit that he only owns about two ties...wink, wink;o)]

-Has managed Christmas letter creation and distribution for three years. Recipients have generally reported "extremely high satisfaction" with the festive report's combination of news, humor and an appropriate level of self-deprecation.

-Has mastered such cost-cutting skills as:
1. Cutting one's own hair
[This is an art, let me assure you! Mirror-placement and backward-arm-bendage are especially complicated.]
2. Spotting the store-brand green beans in less than three seconds.
3. Saving dryer lint to maximize throw-pillow plumpness
[I could do this. I don't...but there's no need to mention that!]

No...I may be prideful, but I'd like to think that my existence on earth will account for more than the above accomplishments, impressive though they may be. I happen to believe that homemaking is a calling higher than any repetitive manual task. Successful homemaking requires creativity well beyond reusing dryer lint, far more intellectual power than necessary for sock-matching, and a wealth of skills beyond scrubbing toilets. It is one of the most diverse positions available.

Sure, homemaking entails repetitive manual tasks. So does just about every other job on earth. I don't generally mind these tasks, as it gives my brain a "resting period" to think or pray or simply listen to the radio while my hands are busy. Not to mention that it's nice to have the exercise. I remember the feeling of sitting plastered to an office chair for nearly eight hours straight. I used to relish my trips to the bathroom, providing for just the barest amount of physical activity!

But homemaking entails much more than keeping the house clean. I am discovering new growth opportunities within the field of homemaking every day. In fact, were I to work 24/7, I don't think I could expand my horizons far enough to exhaust all the possibilities! The days just fly too fast to allow for more than merely scratching the surface.

As a woman, a wife, a [future, Lord willing] mother and a worker, I would like to look back at the end of my life and see these accomplishments on my resume:

-Loved her Lord and spent time getting to know His Infinite heart. Allowed Him to transform her character to be more like His.

-Loved and honored her husband. Never made him doubt his place in her heart, second only to God. Always sought little and big ways to demonstrate her love for him.

-Nurtured her children, prayed for them, and placed them in her Father's loving hands.

-Made her home--Not a showcase for expensive, impersonal relics--but a place pulsing with life, love, and industry. A place of welcoming hospitality. A place where, when night arrived, she rested peacefully with that comforting sense of having her loved ones gathered in nearby.

-Read A LOT. Was always learning and developing her mind.

-Wrote things that helped and encouraged people.

-Assisted and engaged in her husband's industry and calling. Found creative ways to make him (and by default, them) more successful. Helped, wherever possible, and by whatever skills she possessed, to earn and manage their family's income.

-Pursued and developed the following skills and interests (including but not limited to):
Cooking fabulous and nutritious meals for family and friends
Gardening
Frugality, so that excess money could be put to good use
Financial investment
The art of encouragement
Creative teaching of children
Writing skills
Cultivating beauty in the little aspects of life
Musical talent as a pianist
Photography and scrapbooking
Refurbishing old homes and old furniture
Sewing, especially beautiful skirts and things for the home such as pillows and curtains
Historical interest
Opportunities to travel
Hospitality
Service to others

-Served others in her family and community, as their needs arose, and learned to do it with a loving and gentle spirit.

-Learned to be faithful and trusting in God through the trials that arose, and to be resilient.


Looking at this "future resume" is overwhelming. I have SO far to go. I hope I will get to spend my whole life attempting to rise to this challenge, because I know that's how long it will take! Thank God that HE will be there to help me. I could never do this without Him.

11 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda in Chile said...

If all housewives did all that, we could turn the tide of opinion back to where it belongs.
The beauty of all this is that only wives can do all that. God created us as the help meets, not them, so even if they tried, its not what they are created to be.
Blessings to you!
R

7:43 AM, August 01, 2006  
Blogger Anne said...

What a lovely post! I hope you don't mind, but I would like to print it out for myself and shoot for some of those goals. Although these goals may seem lofty (now), it is giving you something to work towards and it is also a God-blessed pursuit: to become the woman He wants you to be. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

5:01 PM, August 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erin
Anne stole my thunder :) it's such a great list Id love to print it out too! Im part way there on some and need to develop others - all around working full time!
Cheers,
Tania in Oz

8:16 PM, August 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a blessing to me. I especially agree with the thoughts that Rhonda brought to mind.

Janet

11:18 PM, August 01, 2006  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

This is such a great post and a very good list of goals. Thanks for posting this.

9:30 AM, August 02, 2006  
Blogger Homekeeper Mom said...

I love this! I would love to add you to my list of blogs on my blog.........would that be alright? I love yours!

Candi

1:33 PM, August 02, 2006  
Blogger Homekeeper Mom said...

I just realized that you are in Texas......me too! San Antonio here........where are you from?

2:44 PM, August 02, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks for the encouraging thoughts, all! I would be honored if you wanted to print out the list. And I would love to hear what you would add to it for yourselves. It's wonderful to have end-goals in mind!

smarshmallow, thanks for wanting to link to me. I appreciate that!:o) I've been to San Antonio many times. Once with Micah, and we stayed on the Riverwalk. Had lots of fun! I'm "around" (not in) Houston. It's great to meet another Texan! Yeehaw:o)

8:24 PM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Umm...that really should have been "YEEHAW!!!" Sometimes (all the time, actually), I'm such a disgrace to "cowgirl-dom";o)

8:30 PM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Doug & Jess said...

Hi Erin, fellow Texan and God-pursuing woman! :) I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and am trying to find a few like-minded women to review my own blog that I've just started about similar issues. I really am just writing to get this stuff out of my head and heart and onto paper, but it would be so helpful to have other women review my biblicality (is that even a word) and get back to me with some helpful feedback. I'd so appreciate if you'd be one of them... sorry I've contacted you this way, I just didn't see an e-mail address and didn't know how else to go about it. The blogsite is www.makinghome.blogspot.com. Thanks for your help and I'll continue to look forward to reading your insights here.

4:46 AM, August 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, just read your blog and it made me smile, laugh and cry. I'm a homemaker myself and can relate to everything you said. Thanks for the priority check. I loved it!

3:03 PM, August 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home