Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Stuff of Life

What happens when a holiday weekend, a visit by a long-lost sister, and the days leading up to an important family wedding converge? Blogging suffers sorely, I'm afraid:o)

I hope you all had a special Easter holiday with your respective families! Micah and I enjoyed spending the day with my family this year.

Yesterday, the bride, my mom and I spent hours scavenging the stores for a respectable wedding trousseau. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the offerings this season. I love all the peasant skirts and beautiful feminine blouses! I tried on a bunch of things just for fun and ended up buying two shirts. Yes...I do sometimes have a momentary lapse of stalwartness concerning our budget. I guess we will eat a bit lighter this week, because the funds for that purchase came from our grocery/household category;o) After the wedding-related expenses we are currently paying have passed, Micah has agreed that I can have a "real" clothing budget to update my wardrobe a bit. I'm excited! He doesn't really care about clothes, but I'm going to make sure that part of it goes for his wardrobe too.

By the way...it seems that we've skipped spring in Texas and gone straight to summer. It's been in the 90's* all week. Thankfully, though, the evenings are still relatively cool...perfect weather for our evening walks!

Just now I'm mostly happy and content with my life...although, as often happens, there is a fly in the ointment. I don't think it would be helpful to elaborate on what that is for me at this time, but I just wanted to mention it for honesty's sake. I value genuineness, and don't think it's helpful to act like I'm perfect or like my life is perfect at all times!

I am dealing with something difficult right now...something that made me want to stay in bed this morning and let myself be gloomy. Instead, I'm going to force myself to be useful and busy, in the knowledge that mopey "bumming around" isn't going to help me or anybody else:op I think I'm going to need some extra prayer time today, as well.

Right now I'm off to do some serious homemaking! We've inherited three much-needed bookshelves from my parents, and it's allowing me to really organize clothes, books, papers, etc., that were without a home before. I'm also going to try to make curtains for my kitchen out of an old bed skirt. Should be interesting!

4 Comments:

Blogger Magistra Mommy said...

Erin,
Good for you! Doesn't Marmee tell Meg in Little Women that she needs to stay busy in order to be the sunshine maker in the home?

I will be praying for you and the "fly". :o) We have days like that around here, too, at times.

In His joy,
Mrs. Wilt

12:49 PM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger MamaBirdEmma said...

Hi Erin!

I'd love to see pictures of your newly organized shelves and bedskirt curtains! I am in need of some inspiration for de-cluttering a room in our home:) I have really been enjoying your blog of late!

~Emma

12:50 PM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger Cherish the Home said...

Hi Erin!

I so agree with portraying ourselves in an honest way. Sometimes I think we can discourage other ladies who are going through hard times when we make our life sound so 'idealic'(sp?).

Good for you! What a blessing you are to me and many others!

Blessings!

~Mrs. B

2:42 PM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Thank you all for your thoughts!

Mrs. Wilt- I REALLY appreciate that:o)

Emma- Thanks! I don't have a digital camera, but I'll try to get some pictures of my recent projects soon:o) I finished the curtains and like the way they turned out!

Mrs. B- I agree completely! Thank you for your comment...I can always count on your comments to be encouraging.

Zan- same here on everything (except the maternity clothes and ever a being size 2!) My b-day is coming up in May and a clothes-shopping trip sounds like a perfect b-day gift (hint, hint, Hubby:o) I haven't bought hardly any new clothes since we've been married either...other things always seem to take precedence in the budget! So it's now becoming a "need" not just a "desire" for me to get some new things...if I want to look presentable;o)

12:49 PM, April 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home