Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Thursday, March 23, 2006

A piece of the past

If you live in Ohio (or want to), you now have the opportunity to purchase this charming old-fashioned home, built in 1840!

My mom sent me the link, because this is the home that her family lived in for several years while she was growing up. She wrote: They have redone some things since Mom & Dad owned it... but I sure enjoyed seeing the beautiful living room again with the solid walnut paneling and trim. The weird thing is to look out the back windows in the kitchen and see houses across the back yard. Back in the 70s-80s [they] owned 10 acres and there was never anything out back but a barn, and about 4 other "out buildings," the pond and the woods. It's amazing how things change!!

Looking at the pictures, I remembered visiting my grandparents there when I was about three. Those steep old stairs? I once accidentally tumbled halfway down them and bonked my head pretty hard!

Why don't they build houses like this anymore...solid and interesting and homey? If Micah and I ever get the opportunity to build our own home, I told him I don't want it to be really big! Just well-built and filled with character! Thankfully, he agrees:o)

4 Comments:

Blogger Cherish the Home said...

Gorgeous house! I would LOVE to live in a house like that. My husband isn't a 'fix-it' type person(plus he works a lot of hours and doesn't have time) so he doesn't really want to ever live in an old house unless the plumbing and electric have been updated(otherwise, he refers to them as 'money-pits') However, maybe someday we can build a house and add some charm like the older homes had. I, like you, would rather have a charming small house than a gigantic one.

12:28 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

I agree with you about the plumbing and electric! Those are definitely things that I would have new:o)

7:21 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

I mean..."rather have new." Why can't I type today?;oP

7:21 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger Magistra Mommy said...

Wow, Erin! What a lovely place!I agree with Micah- make sure it has updated plumbing and electric. When I was teaching, I taught several kids who had lead poisoning from drinking the water from old pipes and ingesting lead paint chips. It is very frightening. Be super-careful!
Older homes are still the best, though. I wouldn't trade our arched doorways and hardwood floors for a dozen new houses!

9:07 AM, March 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home