Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Fleeting Moments

My friends and housemates in Oxford, Fall of 2002. Jane is the second young woman from the right. She was our only British roommate...the rest of us being guest-students from the U.S.

I received this heart-wrenching email last night:

Dear Friends,
I am passing on some very sad news because I think you would want to know. Jane's mother sent me the following email yesterday. We had some great times at Oxford, and Jane was a memorable part of them.

I hope you are all well, and I think about each one of you often.

Love,
Megan

February 25, 2006
It is with a very heavy heart that I want to tell you that Jane in her troubled torment decided to take her life last Sunday 19th February. She is free and flying. Life had become too difficult for her. We are having the funeral for her on Thursday 2nd March...This will celebrate her short life. She was a shooting star. We will be finding a positive way of remembering her in the future.

I am so sorry to bring this news to you.

My heart ached as I read this news. When I lived with Jane, I knew that she was in treatment for emotional difficulties. I didn't know the extent of her pain.

Four of the six in our little flat were Christians. Is there more we could have said to her? Some hope we could have given? Could we have shared Jesus with her a little more clearly? Did we fail in our attempts to minister to one who was hurting?

I know that nothing we could have done would have saved her. Only God can save people. But it's sobering, nonetheless, to look back and wonder if I presented a compelling picture of Christ to this sweet girl. I laughed with her. We talked. We lived together and went out places together. Did she know that my relationship with Christ is what makes my life worth living? Did she understand what He means to me? Did I ever clearly share with her the peace that she could find in Him? I'm afraid of what the answer is.

Our moments on earth are fleeting. Our moments to touch others and share the reason for the hope within us should not be taken for granted. Sometimes, all we have is a little while, and then that chance is gone forever. May I learn to shine His light brightly all the moments that I have.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cherish the Home said...

Oh Erin, I'm so sorry......

4:19 PM, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Samantha said...

Erin,
I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you're going through losing a friend in such a way. My prayers are with you and your friends family.

7:09 AM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Thank you, guys. I appreciate your prayers for Jane's family. I don't believe they are Christians.

11:47 AM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Leigh said...

Erin,

I am so sorry about Jane. I had this happen to a friend too, and can empathize. You and her family will be in my prayers.

Leigh

12:32 PM, March 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home