Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Sunday, October 09, 2005

Love

"Love is a special gift of vision: the power to see for a little while what God meant when he made that person."

-Elisabeth Elliot

God created my husband with special gifts and purpose. I need to be constantly seeking to build my husband up in his strengths, not tear him down for his faults (which I probably have more of than he does).

Unfortunately, I'm a perfectionist (and I wouldn't wish this upon anyone! It doesn't mean I'm perfect, it just means I can tend to make myself and others miserable over the fact that I'm not). If I look at life through my perfectionistic lense, it's easy to focus in the faults and ignore the beauty.

I wish I would always look at my husband the way God sees him. He is God's excellent creation, and God's wonderful gift to me. I should not take him for granted.

Tonight, I'm going to focus on these things in Micah's character:


  • His kindness and gentleness. He never yells at me or tries to intimidate me. Even if I provoke him, he doesn't lose his temper.
  • His faithfulness and loyalty. I feel SO secure in his love. He daily lives out his commitment to me, and has never, ever given me cause to worry about his faithfulness. If we have a disagreement or issues to work through, he is willing to do the hard work of wading through these things so that we can stand together stronger than ever. He is always ready with forgiveness if I need it.
  • His willingness to work on areas of weakness. If I approach him about something in a nice way, he is very open.
  • His spirit. He's always dreaming and maintaining optimism.
  • His little unexpected sweetnesses:o)
  • We can be silly together. Micah and I never had a period of time in our relationship when there was awkwardness or uncomfortableness. We have always been able to be ourselves--ridiculous or not--around each other.
  • He loves me in my worst moments. He thinks I'm beautiful when I'm not. He gives me tenderness and love and hugs when I'm not very lovable or huggable.

Goodnight, all! I need to go give this wonderful man of mine a big hug and tell him that I love him:o)

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Hi, Erin! I followed your link on Crystal's blog and have been lurking around a bit. Thought I better introduce myself though. I'm Rachel, 22 yrs old and married to a wonderful man Matt since June 03. We have a joint blog that we spasmodically update but it's got a variety of stuff there anyway.

Just thought I'd let you know I was here. Oh and I really like your list of things you love about Micah. It's always good to take time to remember how blessed we are isn't it?

4:32 PM, October 12, 2005  
Blogger Carrie said...

This was such a sweet post. It reminded me that I should sit down and write out a list of things I appreciate about my hubby, too. :) I've recently been re-reading some of his love letters to me and that has stirred up so many memories and warm fuzzy feelings . . . :)

Thanks for sharing this!

8:28 PM, October 12, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

Rachel,
Thanks for visiting! I made a quick visit to your blog too, but I will have to go back later to look around more:o) You are living in the country my dear husband MOST wants to visit. It would be his dream vacation!

8:05 PM, October 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home