Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Monday, October 03, 2005

Favorite Things File: Hot Tea!


Now that it's officially fall in Texas (meaning, it's only 90* outside instead of 100), I am thinking of more ways to celebrate the season. I love seasons! Since we don't have beautiful fall trees here or even cool weather (yet), we have to be creative:o)

One cold-weather tradition I can get away with, because I work in a FREEZING office, is to drink hot tea. I only drink coffee occasionally, and usually only at places like Starbucks in the Barnes and Noble where Micah and I spend many evenings. But tea has become something of a daily habit.

This habit really started during my time living in an Oxford flat without central heating. I spent a lot of time wearing my bathrobe, socks, slippers, wrapped in a blanket, drinking my tea. I like it the British way, with milk, no sugar. I love Chai tea and anything a little spicy.

My best friend is also a hot tea drinker, and has honed her habit into a fine art. She has an entire collection of beautiful tea cups and saucers that she's been collecting for years. When you are offered tea at her home, she'll direct you to help yourself to one of the cups off her display shelf (a great lesson--that lovely and special things become more so when they are used and enjoyed!)

I would love to hear about others' fall traditions and pleasures...if anyone would care to share?

4 Comments:

Blogger CallaLilly said...

I love tea! In the fall, I always make a point of going to our local British tea room and have some sticky toffee pudding with tea and of making pumpkin bread.

By the way, did you happen to go to Oxford University?

12:14 PM, October 04, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

Mmmm...pumpkin bread! Sticky toffee pudding sounds GREAT with tea! I usually drink mine by itself or with breakfast. Bet it would be good with dessert too!

Yes I did go to Oxford, for one semester. It was one of the best experiences of my life:o) I got to immerse myself in history, literature and art...some of my favorite things. I was just telling Micah that I wish the two of us could go back and visit together.

6:16 PM, October 04, 2005  
Blogger Carrie said...

I'm a tea lover, as well--only I usually like mine with just sugar, occasionally with milk and sugar. But always sugar! My current favorite is green tea with a couple teaspoons of sugar. I also like plain black tea, herbal teas, and flavors like vanilla caramel and vanilla maple. Yummy!

As for fall traditions--I don't have that many yet, but hopefully once we get our house a little more finished, I can put more time into seasonal decorating, etc. I love fall decorations but don't have any out at this time of year. Other fall pleasures include eating apples, making soups, burning fall-smelling candles or tarts in my tart warmer, making fall-ish desserts such as cobblers or crisps, etc. I also love taking walks with my husband and son on a crisp fall day with the bright sunshine overhead, and leaves falling all around! Fall is the best!!

4:43 PM, October 05, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

Carrie, I bet your trees are beautiful up there! Micah and I love to walk too...and we can't wait until the weather cools down a bit!

I don't really have any fall decorations yet either. I'm just beginning to collect Christmas...and then I'll move on to the other seasons.

BTW...my husband was just mentioning tonight that he's in the mood for something with blueberries. Next time blueberries look good at the store, I'm going to try that blueberry recipe you posted on your blog a while back! I've been wanting to make it ever since:o)

10:22 PM, October 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home