Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Chicken Salad Salad

Salads are a staple meal for us. But they can get pretty boring if you don't get creative with them! Also, in order to be a fulfilling meal, I find that it's necessary to include some form of protein. Here's a great salad variation that we both love! (This is a great summer meal)

Chicken Salad:

  • Shredded, cooked chicken (either make yourself, or you can buy canned to make quickly)
  • Equal parts sour cream and mayo (I use "light" for both. I have tried substituting plain yogurt for the sour cream, but it didn't taste near as good)
  • Salt, pepper and dill to taste
  • Capers, optional. Micah doesn't like these added, so we don't.

Mix well. Use your own judgement about how creamy your family will like the chicken salad. I usually just add little spoonfuls of the sour cream and mayo until it sticks together and is slightly creamy.

This chicken salad is great on lettuce or in a sandwich. For the whole salad shebang, make a pasta salad using penne noodles and your favorite Italian dressing. I sometimes add parmesan cheese and olives. Tip: This works best if the pasta is prepared a few hours early and put in the fridge to cool. But if I wait till the last minute, I mix the just-cooked warm noodles with ice cubes until they're chilly, then pick out the cubes and drain before I add the dressing.

Layer lettuce, pasta, and then a scoop of chicken salad on each plate. Fresh sliced tomatoes make a great finishing touch.

Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Mmmmm, this sounds yummy! I love salads, too. I will have to give this one a try.

How did your move go this weekend? We ended up moving, too, on rather short notice! But I am thankful to be settling into our new home!!

9:55 AM, August 15, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

Carrie,

Thanks for asking:o) We got most of our stuff moved into the house, but are not living there yet. We're waiting for the money to make deposits on all our utilities:op I can't WAIT to move in...it's hard to be patient!

Isn't it fun to unpack everything and get it all situated? I'm probably about half-way done. It's going a little bit slower, because I'm trying to de-junk as I go. I have too much stuff! I thought I got rid of all the extra before we packed, but as I'm unpacking I'm finding more and more:o)

9:29 PM, August 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home