Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Tuesday, December 05, 2006

More posts soon...hopefully

I've got several posts in my head (including some more thoughts on the abortion topic) but have been very busy lately! I can't even think of why. I've just been living life, and it's been taking all my time:op But the compulsion to write never eludes me for long, and I'm sure I will have to sit down very soon and get something new typed up.

Until then, here's a question that presented itself to me as I read through some of Dooce's posts last evening: What is it that makes her so funny??? For those who have never read her blog, a warning: She's not a Christian, she's irreverent, and she uses foul language constantly. And yet she's hilarious. Tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of people read her personal blog, causing advertisers to pay thousands of dollars a month for space on her site. I believe that her blogging income is in the six figures.

I like serious writing. In fact, I do too much of it. But humor is a balm for the spirit, and I would really like to see more "Christian Dooces". (One lovely lady who often cloaks truth in humor is Amy.) How does she do it? How do we engage humor without resorting to "too-much-information" or vulgarity? Just some random thoughts from my ever-questioning mind!:o)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Erin
Long time, no write to, hope you've been well.
Just writing to say I love reading Dooce too!
Regards
Tania

2:12 AM, December 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,
I must be showing my age here. I read some of Dooce and thought "She gets PAID for that?" Yikes.
Taking a stab at your question, albeit a very surface one. (More like a mild scratch than a stab). The Lord's common grace allows all of us, believers or not, to experience the blessings that come with marriage and motherhood. Even irreverant, trash-talkers can find the humor and absurdity that goes along with being a mom. Suddenly there is fodder for the blog! Do you think she'd have as large a readership if she were still writing about being an alchoholic web designer?

Blessings,
Renee

1:29 PM, December 06, 2006  
Blogger Kristin said...

Well,
when I want humour that is neither vulgar or 'too-much-information', there's a couple places I go...
- sesame street! i still find many of the grover skits really, really funny.
- a bunch of different australian children's authors, starting with paul jennings.
- ice age, monsters inc...
This stuff is still pretty funny as an adult, some of it is even funnier than it was as a child.

call it immaturity. i'd prefer to call it childlike than childish : )

5:22 PM, December 06, 2006  
Blogger Samantha said...

Yay, I'm so glad you'll be posting again soon!

I love Amy's blog, she is a very gifted writer. But you're right you don't see that as much around the Christian blogosphere. Another funny Christian blogger is Jeana at www.laughterfordaystocom.blogspot.com. I puruse her blog sometimes and always find it hilarious :)

8:48 AM, December 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, I LOVE Amy's blog also. She is so gifted and humorous. Yours is inspirational! :)

~Candi

11:47 AM, December 12, 2006  
Blogger miller_schloss said...

Chiming in to say I love Dooce too, but you probably already knew that. I think a lot of her humor comes from her willingness to laugh at herself. Her realness. So many Christians take themselves too seriously, and we're afraid to let our real selves show because others might see our failures and mistakes. Showing our humanity helps us connect with people...and often makes them laugh.

4:06 PM, December 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home