Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Sunday, July 17, 2005

Popcorn!

It's late and I should be going to bed soon...but instead my husband is making me homemade popcorn and I'm going to finish off a big bowl. I got home a little bit ago from working all afternoon and evening babysitting for a family with eight children (that I've worked for ever since they only had two), and so I've certainly had a busy day. Popcorn is just the treat I need...what a Sweetie Micah is;o)

We eat popcorn at least once a week. Sometimes, if we're not too hungry, we make it our meal. There's nothing like popping it fresh on the stove in sizzling corn oil, then drizzling a little butter and sprinkling a little salt to perfection. I'm always amazed at how many people don't know it can be made this way. If you've never tried it, do! You'll never go back to the microwave stuff!

How:
1. Pour kernals into large pot (with lid!), so that they just cover the bottom.

2. Add corn oil until, when you shake the pan, all the kernals become well-coated.
(It's rather an art to get just the right amt...too little oil and it will burn.)

3. Put lid on pot. Cook on stove over med-high heat, shaking constantly. I always use hot-pads and hold the lid on with my hands while I'm shaking. Cook until you hear the popping stop (or until the popped popcorn starts pushing the lid off your pan! This may be a sign to use less kernals the next time;o)

4. Sprinkle with butter (no margarine, it will make the popcorn soggy) and seasonings to taste. Mix well.

5. Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Hi Erin! I found your blog through Crystal's blog, and I've been enjoying it! I just had to comment on this entry--we like popcorn, too, and my hubby always made it this way, until he received a "Whirley Pop" popcorn maker for Christmas this year . . . it's basically doing it the same way, only there's a crank that you turn on the lid of the pan. It works really well! It was cool to read that there are others out there who enjoy making it on the stove, like us. :) It's SO much better than microwave!!

I also wanted to say I really liked your post on perfectionism. It was really excellent! I've been gaining so much encouragement from reading the blogs of others who are close in age and in a similar stage of life to me, and have the same values and beliefs. Feel free to check out my blog anytime if you want; I usually just write about myself and my family, but I do have fun with it. :)
http://samsmommy.blogspot.com

5:19 PM, July 18, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

Carrie,
Thanks for your encouraging comments!
I did take a look at your blog...what a cutie your little son is! I also enjoy reading other blogs by "kindred spirits", so I'll make sure to pop over to yours again;o)
My mom used to have one of those crank-pots, but it was really old and we weren't sure if you could still get them. I'm glad they're still around, and I'll have to look for one. I remember how well they worked...it was harder to burn the popcorn that way.

5:50 PM, July 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home