Reflections on life, marriage, and purpose...by a young woman who is constantly learning how much there will always be to learn!


Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Walking Habit

Micah and I are trying to establish a new routine: that of walking together every night. For the past two years, we've done this off and on...but we've always managed to slip out of the habit. This time we're making a valient effort, and have so far succeeded!

For those who haven't been to Texas, it's HOT at this time of year. We walk at dusk, and sometimes after dark with a flash light to minimize the oven-effect. (We bring the pooch along to scare off anything sinister for us!;o) We try to walk for at least 30-45 minutes. It's such a great time for conversation, not to mention helping us get more exercise.

We both come from a heritage of walkers. My parents have told me that when they were young marrieds, they used to walk every night. Sometimes for a special treat, they would walk to a nearby Arbys for a Jamocha milkshake (these are still around and are great, by the way, if you've never had one!) They didn't own a television by choice, and so they used their evenings to focus on getting to know one another.

When I was little, they continued the tradition. We would take "family walks" around the neighborhood, with the baby in the stroller and older girls on our bikes. People may have thought we looked funny all walking down the street (I think we were the only ones in our neighborhood who did that!), but I remember how much fun I thought those times were.

Micah's parents walk together every morning together at about 5am. I would never attempt such a feat, but I commend them for their discipline!

Just posting this is inspiring me to keep at it. Week two and counting!

1 Comments:

Blogger Milan Shah said...

Hi there,

Nice blog. Do you still walk? I started walking two weeks back and trying to keep it on.

- Walk Lover from Arkansas

10:30 PM, August 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home